chapter 37

The clanging of metal echoed through the baseball field, sword clashing against dagger, whirling quickly through the air, clashing again. The lamps that lit up the field glinted off of my dagger, flashing off the bronze.

I lunged for him, but Percy twisted to the side, going around me and elbowing me in the back of the ribs. I stumbled forward, but used the momentum to go into a dive roll, springing back up.

"That was so dirty," I scolded, turning back around to face him, brushing off my jeans. He grinned, making my stomach tie itself in knots.

"It's not dirty if it works," he shrugged, and I swung my dagger his way. He blocked it, and again they clashed, the rattle of metal on metal sounding across the field.

I liked training. It was nice, relaxing, especially when I knew the other person wasn't actually trying to kill me. There was that repetitive monotone of bronze and against bronze, metal against metal. I could focus on the fight, nothing else.

Still, I had to beat Percy. It's no fun if you lose.

I saw an opportunity when I remembered he favored his left foot; there would be a split second in between his strikes where he'd be off balance, and vulnerable.

Until I could seize my chance, I played defensive, falling back a little. Percy pressed forward, falling into my trap.

As soon as the opening presented itself, I lunged forward again, this time with a purpose.

I struck, and he stumbled backward in surprise. I took that opportunity to strike again, sending him falling backward. But I misjudged the distance, coming closer than I intended to. Percy grabbed my wrist in an attempt to stay on his feet. That didn't work, so he dragged me down with him.

He hit the ground with a thud, in a sitting position, and he would've been fine if I weren't falling down with him.

Instinctively, Percy grabbed me and rolled backward, bringing us both to a stop.

Percy ended up lying on his back on the ground, and I ended up on top of him, on his chest. My dagger landed off somewhere to the side, his sword out of his hand as well.

"Now that- that was dirty," he murmured, sounding out of breath. Our faces were inches apart, and I watched as his eyes met mine, then flickered down, and back up again.

"Yeah," I smiled, "but it worked, didn't it?"

Percy just swallowed and nodded slightly, his eyes flickering downward again.

I found myself moving closer to him, until we were hardly centimetres apart. I don't think I'd ever been this near him before.

I couldn't help myself; we were so, so close.

I could feel his heart racing under me, and I didn't know if it were from the training we were just doing or it was something more.

Then our lips brushed together, mine on his, hardly a kiss, but enough. Enough to send a thrill right through me, from the base of my neck to the tip of my spine, enough to feel him, beneath me. Enough of something I've wanted a really, really long time. Enough, but not enough. Not enough of what I wanted from him. I wanted more, much more than this.

That was when I realized what I was doing.

What the hell is wrong with you? my brain screamed.

I scrambled off of him, quickly rising to my feet, breathing heavily. Percy sat up just as fast, his eyes wide.

"Fuck," I breathed, running my hands through my hair anxiously, tears gathering in my eyes.

I'd had a good thing going. A really good thing. Why'd I have to screw it up? I'd lasted this long. Why now? How could I have been so stupid? It's not like he felt the same about me, no matter how hard I wished we were more. We were just friends. Just... friends. Stupid, stupid friends.

Percy slowly got to his feet, still looking shocked. I backed away from him, blinking away tears.

"Fuck, fuck, I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry-" I choked on my words. Screwing up our friendship was the last thing in the world that I wanted. Things wouldn't ever be the same, after this. Gods, how could I be so fucking stupid?

Percy blinked, and the shock melted into a small smile. He crossed the distance between us in two steps, and then he was there, he was close to me again. I don't know how he'd ever want to be.

And then his hands were on my cheeks, cupping my face, and he was so gentle, just like him. His hands were warm, and I found myself pressing closer.

"I'm so- I'm sorry, Percy, I-" I started, but the words died in my throat.

He leaned in, and our lips really met, finally, finally. I couldn't describe how perfectly our lips fit together, like they were made to be there. The world melted away, and it was just me and him.

I knew I'd never get enough of it, enough of him. I wanted him, I wanted all of him, every part he could give. Kissing him was a like drug you get addicted to on the first hit, and I don't think I'd ever be able to get off of it. I don't think I'd ever want to.

He kissed me like the world was going to end tomorrow, like he'd been waiting his whole life for this one moment. A spark of electricity ran through my whole body, and I smiled into the kiss giddily, in spite of myself. I think my heart was beating so fast that it wanted to jump out of my chest.

This was the kiss I'd dreamed about, and I'd never wanted anything more. I don't think something better than this existed.

And when we had to pull apart, only because we found we had no air left to breathe, he still didn't go far. His forehead rested on mine, so close to me, so close. We tried to catch our breath.

"Do you have any idea," he paused still breathing heavily, "how long I've wanted to do that?"

"Really?"

"Yeah," he said, and we both laughed, gulping in the fresh air. But I'd give all the air in the world just to kiss him again.

After we'd caught our breath, neither of us moved. I think we both wanted to do it again.

"Can I...?" I asked him, hesitating.

He smiled, and I felt myself melting into him. Gods, I don't think I'd ever get enough of it.

"Always," he breathed, and again our lips met, and I finally felt complete. Finally.