Different Kind of Love

Remember when Esposito and Lanie broke up in season 7? Me too. I hate that. Especially since just two episodes before that, he literally said her name when he could've died. If that's not love, I don't know what is. Anyway, this is a rewrite of that scene. Because Esplanie forever!

Tags: Romance, fluff, fixing canon (cuz it's stupid)

- - - - - - - - - -

Esposito watched as Lanie's parents left the bullpen. As soon as they were out of sight, Lanie stepped in front of him. She had a relieved smile on her face that made her look 10 years younger. He wondered why she never smiles like that more often.

"Thank you, for that" she said.

"Oh, it was actually a lot easier than I thought it was gonna be" he admitted, making her chuckle.

God, she's beautiful.

He found himself wondering what dinner would've been like if they were actually engaged. Would she look this happy then too?

"But.." he couldn't help but add "You know it made me think seriously...about us, and where we are" he admitted.

She looked surprised by the seriousness of his voice "Javi, I don't think we should do this here" she stated nervously.

He took her hand in his "No I have to say this..." he paused to look her in the eyes "Lanie...being fake engaged to you made me realize how great we are together" he paused "But not the way that your parents are.." he said quietly, watching her smile drop slightly "Or Castle and Beckett...or Ryan and Jenny" he trailed off.

"I-I know" she said, trying to play off the hurt she felt "I mean-"

He interrupted her before she could go on "Because we're not them" he added, smiling when he saw the confused look in her eyes.

"I'm not following" she said.

"We're not your parents...we're not Castle and Beckett, although some people would argue that we're just as stubborn as they are. We're not Ryan and Jenny" he shrugged "So what? We don't have to be. I don't want us to be just like everybody else, I want us to be us" he paused to lick his suddenly dry lips "I like us, as confusing as this is. Hell, I love us. I love you, Lanie. I have for a long time, even after we broke up. You're always on my mind. When I took down Stone, in that fire, working the case with our double, getting tortured by Lockwood, and every moment in between...you're always the one I'm thinking about" he admitted.

"What does that mean?" she questioned, unsure.

"I know you like things the way it is, but I'm ready to take the next step. I'm not saying we should get married now, or even in a few months, maybe even in a year. I just...I wanna know that you're just as willing to move forward as much as I am. That you're in this as deep as I am. Because that's what I want, I want a life with you. I wanna wake up beside you everyday, I want people to see us and get jealous of what we have. I want to be selfish for once.." he paused again "Let's move in together" he said.

She seemed taken aback "As in..live in the same house?" she asked.

He nodded "What do you say?" he asked, suddenly anxious.

She watched him for a moment, still surprised by his request. But she found herself smiling when all she saw was hope in his eyes.

"Javier, I would love nothing more than to move in with you. And.." she paused briefly, smiling as she met his eyes "I love you too" she admitted.

He started to smile, but then it dropped when he realized something "So do we have to keep pretending to be engaged in front of your parents?" he asked.

She sighed "I'll tell them the truth. But after the holidays. No need to spoil their vacation" she said.

He grinned "So you're serious right, about moving in? You're not just saying that to put me at ease are you?" he questioned doubtfully.

She rolled her eyes "I wouldn't have said yes if I wasn't sure" she said.

"Cool" he said, unable to stop his smile "So I was thinking you could bring your stuff over this weekend maybe. I'd be more than happy to help you pack" he said.

"Wait, what makes you think I'd move in with you? Why can't you move?" she questioned.

"Because I'm the guy. And my place is way closer to the precinct" he reasoned.

"Uh huh, my place is bigger" she said, crossing her arms at him.

"Mine's cozy"

"So is mine"

He pouted "Can't you let me have this one?" he tried, giving her his best puppy dog eyes.

She rolled her eyes, but still smiled "Uh uh, not happening" she said, turning away from him so she wouldn't be tempted to give in.

"Okay, fine. If I move we're getting a new mattress" he said.

She turned to him with a frown "What's wrong with my mattress?" she questioned.

"You're kidding? That things harder than a rock. I don't know how you sleep on that" he said.

"It's not that bad" she reasoned.

"Why do you think we always end up on the floor?" he added.

She swatted his shoulder, glaring him down "We're in the precinct" she reminded.

He grinned, wrapping his arms around her waist "Okay, we'll talk more about this later" he paused "My place?" he tried.

She huffed, wrapping her arms around his neck "You're lucky you're cute" she said.

He smiled brightly before leaning in to kiss her gently. They pulled away when they heard Ryan tell people to gather around the tree. They watched as he plugged in the cord and the tree lit up. People cheered happily as music started to play.

She gasped "I love this song" she said before taking him by the hand and dragging him to the middle of the bullpen as she started dancing.

All he could do was smile when she started dancing around him.

Beckett approached them after a moment "Mind if I join in?" she asked.

Esposito chuckled "Go ahead" he said as he stepped aside to let them enjoy themselves.

He smiled as he watched Lanie dance around with Beckett. He knows that one day, maybe not today or tomorrow..or even a year from now. But one day, they're going to have a real proposal story to tell. And it'll be perfect because it will be theirs.

And he doesn't mind at all that they have a different kind of love than everyone else. Not at all.

- - - - - - - - - -

There, a wrong was just righted in the universe. I'm very proud of this story actually. Please let me know what you think of it.