Casual Banter

An average slow day at the 12th precinct homicide department. Ryan and Espo POV.

Tags: Humor, Friendship

- - - - - - - - - -

"What time is it?" Esposito questioned between a groan and a sigh.

Ryan checked his watch for the 20th consecutive time "Still 10" he said before leaning back in his chair as far back as he could without tipping the seat over.

Esposito tried not to groan again "Man this sucks. Why'd Beckett have to get sick. I forgot how boring it was without Castle around, spouting all his nonsense" he said.

"Mhmm" Ryan nodded in agreement "You know what, they're probably off playing hooky somewhere" he scoffed "Leaving us to deal with all this work by ourselves. Bastards" he muttered.

Esposito cracked the slightest smile "Yeah.. Those two are the horniest people I've ever met, and I was in the military with a buncha guys for 4 years" he said.

Ryan snorted "Truer words have never been uttered" he said then sighed "So you got plans tonight?" he asked, tilting his head to his partner lazily.

Esposito shrugged "I was thinking about asking Lanie if she wanted to go to dinner. But it's been kinda weird with us lately" he said.

Ryan rolled his eyes "It's been 'weird' for years now. Why don't you grow a pair and just tell her how you feel already" he said, annoyed.

He scoffed "Whatever bro, do you have a point?" he questioned.

Ryan decided to put a pin on the argument..for now.

"Jenny's making her world famous meatloaf tonight. Figured you might want some. Plus, SG's been asking about her favorite uncle again" he admitted.

Esposito couldn't help but smile "I guess I could make it. How's Sarah Grace and Nicholas doing?" he asked.

"Good. Just the other day Sarah counted up to 30 and only missed a few numbers. And Nicholas is growing up so fast, he can crawl around all day and still be full of energy" he said proudly.

Esposito shook his head, amused. His phone chimed indicating a text. He fished it out of his pocket to read it.

"LT wants the file from last week's case" he said, turning to face Ryan "Roshambo over who has to go send it?" he tried.

"No no no, I'm not falling for that again. He texted you. So, you do it" he said.

"That's cold bro. You used to be fun" he grumbled as he stood up and left to grab the file.

"You're just salty cuz Lanie probably had you sleeping on the couch again" Ryan said, intentionally trying to get under his partner's skin.

It worked when Esposito flipped him off without bothering to turn around. Ryan smiled to himself as he picked up a pencil from his cup of stationary and took out his notepad, doodling as he waited for Esposito's return.

___________________________________

They're now in the break, talking over their third cup of coffee.

Esposito hummed as he placed his cup aside "What about...an assassin who's terrible at his job, but somehow still manages to get it done by either sheer luck or pure incompetence" he said.

Ryan nodded "I'd read that book. It's a fun twist to the typical and-let's face it-overused trope. He needs to have a cool name though like...Ken Reynolds" he said.

Esposito laughed out loud "Wow, you thought you were being so subtle huh? Ken Reynolds is the stupidest and least creative assassin name I've ever heard" he said.