Baby Names

Castle and Beckett talk about what to name their baby.

Tags: Fluff

- - - - - - - - - -

Rick Castle was preparing breakfast when he heard footsteps approaching him. Looking up from his task, he smiled brightly at the sight of his-very pregnant-wife, Kate Beckett.

"Morning beautiful" he greeted her cheerfully.

Kate smiled as she carefully sat on the stool in front of him "Morning babe" she replied "What are you making?" she asked giddily as her hand stroked her 5 months along baby bump.

Rick smiled "Omelette and crispy bacon, just the way junior likes it" he said as he carefully placed the bacon onto a plate.

Kate's nose crinkled "No offense, but the day we name our baby junior is a frozen day in hell" she said.

Rick chuckled "Don't worry, I agree completely. We haven't really talked about baby names, so I wasn't sure" he admitted as he turned off the stove and went around the bar to sit beside her, serving up breakfast "Orange juice?" he asked.

She nodded then watched as he went to the fridge and took out the orange juice "Do you want to talk about it?" she asked as she picked a piece of bacon and ate.

"I would prefer to do that, yes. But I don't mind if you want to wait. Some people find having their child present to be more...inspiring" he admitted as he handed her the glass of orange juice and sat down beside her "But the important thing is, she's healthy and happy" he added "So whichever you prefer, I'll be right here to make the decision with you" he said.

She was touched by his patience and maturity. It was still a little hard for her to believe that they were starting a family together.

"I think...I want to talk about it before she comes. Nothing permanent, just an idea" she said.

He immediately perked up "Amelia" he said suddenly.

She had to raise an eyebrow "Okay...is there a reason for that?" she questioned, a little amused by how excited he's getting.

"Amelia Earhart" he said, with a shrug "I figured...the daughter of Katherine Beckett must be a driving force. Who better to name her after, than the woman who still inspires little girls to this day" he reasoned.

She couldn't disagree "The name does have a nice ring to it" she agreed "But I was thinking of something with the letter L" she said.

Now it was Rick's turn to raise an eyebrow "Why L?" he asked curiously.

"Since you brought up inspiring women, why not someone we know? Lanie's always been there for me, and it'd feel wrong not to at least consider naming our daughter after her" she reasoned.

He softened "I'm sure Lanie would love that" he said.

She shook her head "I know she would. But what about you? If you don't agree it's completely fine by me" she clarified.

He had to shake her head, noting how insecure she's been since the pregnancy "Kate, I love you. And I love our daughter. No matter what we name her I'll never love her any less. And if you think taking the first letter of your best friend's name is going to change that, then you should go back to sleep cuz you're clearly not thinking straight" he said.

She pouted "Are you saying I look terrible?" she asked.

He chuckled "You're beautiful" he assured.

She started to smile again then kissed him gently "I love you too" she said.

"Okay, so names with the letter L. Sounds simple enough" Rick said, going quiet to think "How about...Lana?" he tried.

She thought about it, then shook her head "Doesn't really feel right" she admitted.

He nodded "Okay..then how about Leanne?" he tried, but then frowned "Okay maybe not" he said.

Kate laughed a little "I like Lyla. With a Y" she said.

"Lucy?" Rick tried.

She nodded "Lucy Castle. Has a nice ring to it" she agreed "What about..Lily?" she tried.

He smiled "It works" he agreed "Should I be writing this down?" he asked.

"Depends, how long are you willing to keep listing out names?" she asked.

He grinned, a familiar playful glint ever present in his eyes "All day" he said.

She couldn't help but smile "Then I suppose you could grab a pen and paper" she said.

He quickly rushed away to grab the items and she shook her head in amusement.

___________________________________

It's later that night and they were just lounging in the living room together, watching a movie. Kate had her head rested on Rick's shoulder, blinking her sleepiness away. He look to her and smiled.

"If you're tired I can take to bed" he offered.

"No, no.." she yawned "I wanna stay with you a little longer" she said sleepily.

He chuckled "Okay" he agreed, wrapping his arm over her shoulder to pull her closer towards him.

A comfortable silence settled over them. For a moment, only the sounds of the TV can be heard.

"Hey Kate.." Rick said suddenly.

"Hmm?" Kate hummed tiredly in reply.

"How would you feel if we name her Johanna?" he asked.

Kate raised her head off his shoulder to meet his eyes "What?" she asked.

"As a middle name. We can still name her after Lanie like you want, but since we're mentioning incredibly women...who better than the woman who raised you?" he reasoned.

Her eyes watered "It's perfect" she said.

"You're not mad?" he asked, unsure.

"No, I love it" she assured, grabbing his face to plant a soft kiss on his lips "Thank you" she said.

"For what?"

"For...being you" she said "I hope our daughter grows up to be just like you" she added.

He smiled lovingly "I hope she grows up to be just like you" he said.

___________________________________

Four months later, after hours in labor, they finally welcomed the new addition to their family.

Lily Johanna Castle.

- - - - - - - - - -

This is for all the caskett fans. Thoughts?