Chapter Three

Howie Day famous song 'Collide' blasted from my iPod as I stood in my wall in closet. I pushed hanger after hanger of outfits out of the way as I searched for the perfect outfit to wear tonight. I didn't know Eugene Shore that well, other than him being one of Anthony's close friends I only had him in two classes. To me he was more interested in parties and girls than grades.
    I pulled out a mini purple dress that was sleeve less with little ruffles in the skirt. I snatched my three inch heel silver sandals with the tiny straps. "Perfect." I said with a smile. Changing my clothes I went to the bath room to straighten my blond hair and put some make up on.
     My heels made a click clack sound as they clicked on the kitchen tile floor alerting my mother.
     She frowned at my short dress, "Where are you going in that outfit?"
     "Eugene's." I said grabbing my purse and keys.
     "And who is Eugene?"
      "Just a guy from school who is having a big party and Anthony invited me."
    My mother raised an eyebrow, "What about Lexi?"
     "He invited her too. I'm leaving." I said before she could ask anymore questions."
      "Be back by curfew!" She hollered as I shut the back door with a thud.
     I settled in for the long drive to town. When I got to Lexi's house I parked my car beside the curb in front of her house. I jogged up the sidewalk and rang the door bell hearing the barks and yaps of Lucas the little chihuahua.
    Lexi hurriedly opened the front door still wearing a tank top, her makeup was half done and her hair was pulled up in a messy bun. She scooped Lucas up with one hand before he could dart outside. Holding the other door open she welcomed me in, "You're early she commented setting Lucas down and he immediately went to my feet wanting my attention.
    Giving him a quick pat I straightened up, "Yep that's me." I said with a grin. I hated being late to things, it made me get all worked up and stressed. So I tried to be early everywhere I went.
      Lexi smiled back at me then looked down at her clothes, "Well, I'm no where near done. Make yourself at home and I'll be down soon okay?" With that she left me downstairs.
     Seeing that the house was empty I made myself comfortable on the brown leather couch and tossed Lucas a yellow tennis ball till Lexi came downstairs.
    She wore a mini yellow skirt and a white blouse that hugged her waist showing how skinny she was. She left her black curly hair down and her curls bounced as she walked.
    "Lexi you are drop dead gorgeous."
    "Thanks Jules." She said with a smile.
   I shook my head, "It's not fair Puerto Ricans have beautiful skin and perfect hair."
   Lexi flipped her hair over her should, "It's true." She said with a slight giggle, "You ready to go?"
    I nodded and stood up dropping the tennis ball so it rolled away and Lucas chased after it. As we headed out the door Lexi moved towards her red car that was parked in the driveway.
     "We aren't going with Anthony?"
    Lexi's black curls bounced lightly as she shook her head, "No, something about Eugene needing help moving furniture and setting up speakers. He left awhile ago and we'll see him at the party."
    I squeezed between Lexi's passenger side door and the fern bush that divided their yard from the neighbors. Then I opened her door and climbed in.
    Lexi took the seat behind the wheel, carefully she backed out onto the road. Then she maneuver us past traffic lights and down streets till she pulled up in front of Eugene's house where the party was in full swing.
     Eugene's house was in a nice neighborhood. The house was two story brick house with a balcony on the second floor and a build in ground swimming pool in the backyard. There were cars parked in the driveway and all up and down the street in front of his house.
      Lexi checked her mirrors to make sure nobody was behind her then she put the car in park in the middle of the street, "You can hop out and go on in, I'll drive around till I can find us a parking space. It looks like I'm going to have to park a few streets away."
     "You sure you don't want me to come with you?"
      She smiled, "Yeah I'm good girl, go get a head start."
      I hopped out of the car and watched Lexi pull away before making my way up the front yard. Some teens stood outside talking and waved to me before going back to their conversations. Reaching the front steps I ran the door bell wondering if anybody would even hear it over the loud music that played inside.
      My question was answered when Eugene opened the door laughing with one arm around a girl and the other trying to balance the door handle and a red solo cup with beer.
      "Hey Julia!" The party has barely started but Eugene's voice held a slight slur from the alcohol he had drank. His red solo cup tipped slightly in his hand.
    I gasped and took a step back as a drop of beer splashed on the concrete step seconds after my feet left that spot.
     "Opps, did I get any on you?" He asked taking a big slurp of the drink.
      "No you're good." I said waving my hand thankful that it didn't get on me.
      "Sweet, hey come on in and get ready to party!"
      Ducking my head under his arm that held the door I entered the world of the party. My eyes traveled around the rooms in hopes of seeing someone I knew and could talk to. All the furniture in the family room had been pushed up against the wall to make a clear area for dancing. Couples swung their hips around to the fast upbeat music that blared from the speakers. The ceiling was higher than most ceilings and made it that the second floor had a balcony that you could look down into the family room and see the couples dancing. I weaved my way down the hallway toward the kitchen where there were fewer people.
     In the kitchen Eugene had set up a beer keg and there were two coolers full of ice and other beverage drinks. Some of the drinks had alcohol and some not. As I walked through the kitchen back towards the family room I looked out the glass sliding door where I could see the swimming pool. People who knew Eugene had a swimming pool had brought swimming suits and were swimming around or doing cannon balls off the side. Others who didn't know Eugene had a pool or didn't care were stripping down to their underwear to swim.
                                                                   ~
     Anthony squeezed passed a couple making out in the hallway of Eugene's house.
    "Yo, Tony!" Hunter called from where he sat at a coffee table with Justin, Max, and some other guys from school. He waved Anthony over.
     "What's up guys?" Anthony asked as he came over. He could see a empty green wine bottle laying on its side on the coffee table between the guys.
     Justin gave the wine bottle a spin and when it landed on Max all the guys cheered and Max stood up and left the room. Justin laughed as Max disappeared into the crowd. "Hey Anthony you should sit and play spin the bottle with us."
       Anthony looked at the group of guys, "Umm and kiss one of you guys? No thanks I think I'll pass."
       A guy sitting beside Justin laughed, Troy was him name Anthony believed though he had never spoke to the guy, "No dude, it's a different version of spin the bottle."
   Justin grinned and nodded his head, "You see if the top of the wine bottle stops and points at you, that means you have to get up and go find a girl to kiss." The guys play the game all laughed and gave Max high fives and slaps on the back as he returned from kissing a girl.  "If she kisses you back then good, if she pushes you away then you're out. Are you in?"
   Before Anthony could turn them down they started chanting, "Tony! Tony! Tony!"
    He threw his hands up defeated, "Oh alright."
     Hunter slapped him on the back as he took a seat beside him, "That's my man."
     Anthony took a deep breath and placing his fingers on the empty wine bottle he gave it a spin.
    The bottle spun around and around its green glass sparkling as light from the lamp beside them shone on it. Finally the bottle started to slow down and the boys all leaned in anxiously waiting to see where the neck of the wine bottle would point to. The bottle came to a slow stop its top pointing at Anthony.
    Anthony rubbed his nose and looked away, "Aw now you guys just aren't playing fair."
     Justin laughed, "The bottle picked you man, now pucker those lips up and go get yourself a girl!"
    "Yeah" Anthony sighed and looked around the room to see who his options were. He knew he shouldn't have agreed to the stupid game. He didn't want to kiss a girl and have the chance of getting rejected by her and have all the guys laugh and tease him about it. He also didn't want to get slugged by any dates or boyfriends that the girl may have. His eyes light up as he saw Julia standing alone by the hallway. Maybe he could get a kiss from a friend.
                                                               ~
       What was taking Lexi so long? I thought as I looked at my phone to see the time. Just then I saw Anthony making his way towards me. He looked uncomfortable and nervous. "Uh oh who's car did you hit and how much do you have to pay?" I joked grinning up at him as he leaned against the wall beside me.
    "Ha-ha you're so funny."
     "You haven't seen Lexi by chance have you? Because she went to park the car and now I have no idea where she's at." I said my eyes searching the crowded house.
    "No I haven't, but I have a huge favor to ask you."
     "If it's loaning you money you can forget it, I still haven't got those twenty bucks back you took for pizza." I said a twinkle in my eyes as I teased him.
      "I told you I gave the rest of the change to charity."
       I laughed, "Yeah right, like the charity of Anthony?!"
       He rolled his eyes at me and shook his head with a smile, "No, and I'm not having this conversation with you right now, I need you to kiss me." He blurted out his cheeks flaming red.
       Whoa. Did he just say what I think he just said?! My eyes widened, "Are you crazy?! Anthony, Lexi is my BFF and your sister for that matter I'm not going to kiss you!" I moved away from the wall in disbelief.
      He shook his head so fast I thought for sure it'll fall off, "It's not like that Julia, the guys got me to play this stupid version of spin the bottle where you go off and have to kiss a girl." He looked at me all puppy dog eyes.
      "And the only girl you could think of kissing was me?"
      "Please? You're my friend and the only girl who might not turn me down." He begged.
    I sighed, "Fine, but if your tongue goes anywhere near my mouth I'm biting it hard." I said warned him pointing my finger at him.
     He laughed, then wrapping his strong arms around my waist he pulled me to him and kissed me. His kiss was sweet warm against my lips. It wasn't that bad. I wrapped my hands around his neck and kissed him back. Then we pulled apart stepping away slightly.
      Anthony grinned down at me, "Thanks, Jules, I owe you big time."
      I wiped the corner of my mouth still feeling the touch of his lips on mine, "No problem dork, just don't go around telling guys I give random kisses out or there'll be guys lined up behind the corner."
   He threw his head back and laughed, "I won't. I guess I'll see you later."
   I waved to him as he disappeared back to his friends. Turning around I went to find a seat to wait for Lexi, just as she ran up to me.
    Her eyes darted from Anthony's form as he walked away to me.
   Oh crap, how much did she just see?
    As if to answer my question she blurted out, "Tell me I did not just see you locking lips with my brother!"
      I closed my eyes and sighed. "Guilty." I muttered then looked up at her.
     "Julia! You're my best friend!" 
     "I know."
      "And he's my brother! Ew! How could you even think about kissing him!"
     "It's not like I wanted to kiss him! Just hear me out Anthony was playing this stupid spin the bottle game where you pick a girl to come up and kiss."
     Lexi raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow, "And he picked you? Gross! I'm totally nagging him about that tonight when we get home!" She said with a wink.
      My body sighed with relief, "So you aren't pissed at me?"
      "What?! Of course not girl. Hoes over bros." she wrapped her arms around me giving me a tight hug. "But please tell me there was no tongue involved because I don't think I could stand that!"
     "Ewwww! Lexi! How can you even ask that question?!"
      She laughed, "I just wanted to make sure, he is my brother after all, hard telling how he kisses."
     I looped my arm through hers as we walked about the house being carefully not to bum into anyone, "Well if you have to absolutely know he is a good kisser."
      Lexi pretended to barf, "TMI, Julia. Now let's go get some drinks I'm thirsty!"
      We got some drinks from the red cooler in the kitchen. Lexi got a beer while I got hard strawberry lemonade. Beer I thought was just plain nasty and had no clue why people even drank it. I preferred something sweet. Then we made our way to the dance floor and swung our hips and moved our hands to the music.
     Several guys came to ask us to dance and Lexi eagerly said yes to each on that asked her. Me on the other hand turned every guy down that asked me to dance. I shook my head as I watched them walk away like a sad puppy dog with their tails between their legs.
      When Lexi left me again to dance with a cute guy I excused myself from the dance floor and went to stand in the kitchen where the music wasn't as loud. By now it was late in the evening and some teens were starting to get really drunk and wasted. Or going upstairs to fine a room to make out in.
      I leaned against the cold kitchen counter and took a sip of Coke. I wasn't in the mood to get tipsy and do something stupid like so many teens were doing right now. Like the girl who was standing on top of the kitchen table stripping in front of a bunch of guys and dancing around like she belonged in a strip club. The guys made wolf whistles at her as she danced and some grabbed at her as she dance by them. "And this is how girls get raped or pregnant." I muttered shaking my head feeling sorry for the wasted girl who probably didn't have a clue to what she was doing.
     Taking another sip of Coke I turned to go back to Lexi and bumped right into Justin spilling my Coke all over him. "Oh shit! I'm so sorry Justin, I didn't see you standing there." Which was kinda creepy how he has snuck up on me and I hadn't realized.
     He wiped at his red shirt and laughed. His breathe smelled of beer which made me want to gag. "No problem Jules." He looked up at me his blue eyes sparkling, "That is what people call you right?"
     "Actually it's Julia." I corrected him. I only let people close to me call me Juls.
    His eyes traveled my body making me slightly uncomfortable. Everybody at Harrison knew Justin. He was a popular guy at school, he was on the basketball team and track team. Besides that he was every girls perfect version of their Ken Barbie doll with his blond hair blue eyes. He towered a head over me though that didn't surprise me; with me barely being 5'4'' most guys towered over me. Justin muscular body could clearly be seen from his red shirt and brown shorts. At the moment he pulled his wet red shirt over his head and tossed it on the counter. His hard six pack abs showing every curve.
      I looked away focusing my eyes on anything than Justin's shirtless body.
      He grinned down at me moving closer to me till I could feel his body heat from where he stood, "Do you find me distracting?"
     I rolled my eyes, "Did you just use a quote from Mockingjay?" I asked thinking of the teen hit drama movie that came out last year.
     He brushed his fingers on my arm and I jerked away like I just touched a hot stove. "Does that attract you?" He murmured inches from my face.
     I pushed him back, "Put your shirt back on, Justin." As I pushed him away he snatched my wrist holding onto it.
    Then he looked outside at people in the swimming pool and grinned back at me, "Come swimming with me." He said still holding onto my wrist.
      I shook my head, "No I didn't bring a swimming suit." I tried pulling my hand away but he held on with a death grip.
    "That's okay neither do I, we can strip." He insisted and started pulling me towards the sliding glass doors that led outside.
     "No that's okay Justin, I don't feel like swimming." I pulled backwards but he was stronger and kept pulling me forwards.
   "Come on! It'll be epic."
    "No! I said NO!" By now I was screaming at him  trying desperately to wriggle my wrist out of his grip.
      "SHE SAID NO JUSTIN!!" Anthony roared coming between me and Justin he grabbed Justin's wrist squeezing hard forcing him to let go of my wrist.
       Free of Justin I rubbed my wrist where he had held on too tight. Then seeing Anthony's face red with anger I touched his shoulder, "Hey I'm okay."
       Justin laughed, "Yeah man she's okay, we were just going to have some fun."
     Anthony pinned Justin to the sliding door and held him there. His eyes dark and glaring. "It's not fun when the person told you no! Can't take a girl rejecting you can you, then maybe you should try not being such a dick!" Anthony let go of Justin and he fell to the floor. Anthony took my arm and started leading me away.
    Justin stood up and glared at Anthony's back, "At least I'm not fooling my sister by screwing it with her best friend!" He shoot back.
   Before I knew what was happening Anthony turned around and slugged Justin in the stomach causing him to fall over.
   "Fight! Fight! Fight!" Teens around us started chanting.
     I pushed my way through them and saw Anthony on top of Justin beating the shit out of him. Frantically I grabbed Anthony's shoulder pulling him back I stepped in front of him to see that Justin had threw a punch at Anthony's nose which was starting to bleed. "Stop! Come with me." I demanded and taking his hand I led him away from the Justin who still laid on the grown and the teens who groaned realizing the fight was over. 
       I took Anthony upstairs and opened up a door thinking it was the bathroom to see a couple halfway naked having sex on a bed.
       "Hey! Knock!" They yelled.
      "Opps! I'm so sorry." I quickly closed the door.
        Anthony chuckled in amusement.
     I glared back at him, "Why am I even searching for the bathroom, you know this place like the back of your head."
      He grinned, "I know I was just having so much fun seeing you trying to find it."
     I rolled my eyes, "Shut up and take me to the bathroom."
     He walked down the hallway a ways and opened up a door that led to a half bathroom. He leaned on the edge of the door frame his nose dripping blood. "You know if we go in here together people are going to think we made out." He flashed me a smile.
     "Let them think what they want, we need to stop your bleeding." I led him into the tiny bathroom and we closed the door.
     Anthony sat on the toilet seat while I found a wash cloth and got it wet. I wiped his nose gently clearing the blood away.
     He grimaced, "Aggh it hurts!"
      "Oh you big baby it's not even broken! Plus it's your own stupid fault for getting in a fight with him!"
        "You heard what he said about us right?"
        "Yes, but who cares. Lots of girls at school ask me if we're a couple all the time. It comes with us being close friends. Just don't take what they say so personal." I dabbed at some blood.
      "Well I take it personal. Besides Justin is a player and a jerk he shouldn't have been forcing you to go swimming with him."
      "Speaking of him, I had it all under control I didn't need you to jump in and save me."
      Anthony laughed sarcastically, "Oh yeah you totally had it under control with him holding your wrist and pulling you. If I didn't step in who knows what could have happened to you."
     I stood up and threw the wet bloody wash cloth at him, "Fine if you're going to be that way you can finish cleaning yourself up." I marched out of the bathroom slamming the door behind me.
     Anthony ran after me grabbing my arm to stop me. "Julia stop!"
     I pulled my arm away from him and glared up at him, for once I wished he wasn't so tall. He made me feel short, "I don't need you coming to my rescue like I'm  some damsel in distress. I can take care of myself."
     "When it's a jackass like Justin I do!"
     "But it wasn't your fight to fight!" I argued.
     "He made it my fight!"
     I threw my hands up frustrated, "Ug! You don't get it!" I stomped over to the balcony and placing my hands in the cold railing I leaned down and looked at the couples dancing. Anthony came and stood beside me his elbow touching mine as he rested his hands on the railing. Looking down at the dance floor I spoke, "If I can't stand up to a jerk like Justin, how am I suppose to stand up to the next guy that tries to take advantage of me? I need to stand up for myself, because you're not always going to be around to save me and a guy needs to understand when I say no, I mean no. I'm not going to let a guy walk all over me without a fight." I whispered.
     Anthony nodded, "You're right, I'm sorry I stepped in, you can fight your own battles." He grinned, "You're a bad ass."
     I laughed, "You better believe I'm a bad ass." I grinned up at him, "But thanks for saving me anyways. You're truly a good friend."
       "So are we good then?" His brown eyes question searching mine.
       I smiled and nodded. He took my hand and pulled me close and we gave each other a bro hug. "Now let's finish getting you cleaned up." After I helped Anthony get the rest of the blood off of his nose and put a bandage on his nose I went to find Lexi.
      She was in her bra and underwear drenching wet from head to toe.
       I laughed and held a towel up for her to wrap herself in, "I leave you for an hour and you go swimming in your bra and underwear, how much have you drank?"
     She giggled as I wrapped the towel around her, "Where have you been??" Her voice slurred, "I was dancing with..... You know I don't even know his name." She laughed.
      I shook my head, keeping my arm around her to help her walk, "Let's get you hope bestie."
     She staggered and leaned against me as we walked, "Hey has that tree always been there?" She said pointing at a basketball hoop.
      I couldn't help it I laughed, "Oh Lexi, what would you do without me! Sweetie that's a basketball hoop. Where are your keys? I'm driving."
      She frowned, "Really? It looks like a tree."
     Seeing Anthony standing by the stairs with his friends I waved him down.
     He grinned seeing Lexi tipsy, "How much has she drank tonight?"
    "Ugh I have no clue, I left her dancing with some Senior and I came back after fixing your nose and she's been swimming in her bra and underwear." I held her clothes up in my free hand, "I have her clothes I just need to get her to her car."
      He chuckled and scooped his sister up in his arms. We found her car a few streets away and he carefully sat her in the passenger seat while I climbed in the driver's seat. He leaned down, "You're going to be okay getting home?"
     Fixing the review mirror so I could see out the back I nodded, "Yeah, I'm spending the night with you guys."
      "Cool. I'll see you back at the house soon, I promise Eugene I'll stay till everyone leaves and help him move the furniture back and clean up some." He closed the passenger door and watched me pull away.
      Once I got back to the Baez' home I managed to get Lexi upstairs and into her bed. I didn't want to wake her mother up because I knew Wanda didn't like it when Lexi drank. Kicking off my silver heels I climbed in beside Lexi and drifted off to sleep.