Chapter Seven

My hickies only lasted a week and by then my bruises were faded as well. I was able to stop wears long sleeves and scarves to try to hide them. Now if only the jitters would stop. I couldn't bring myself to sleep without a night light on; something I    haven't slept with since I was six. I just couldn't bare the thought of having another nightmare and waking up thinking he was over me pressing himself into me. Not only was I now scared of the dark, but every door slam or touch by someone made me jump. It was awful I wasn't comfortable in my own house let alone public. I was terrified I would see him or that he'll come back wanting more.
         I wish there was a brain wash machine that could wash my brain clean of him and what he did to me; but there wasn't. I was trapped with the horrible memories and flash backs.
          "And then he asked me out right after Tracey turned him down can you believe it?!" Lexi said bringing me back to the present as we headed upstairs to her room.
        "Uh? Yeah that is crazy." I murmured as we passed Anthony's closed bedroom door a soft laughter from a girl drifted out into the  hallway. I stopped in my tracks. Anthony? With a girl?! When did that happen!
     Lexi turned around her hand on her door to close it behind us, "You coming?"
    Dunking into her room I stared at Lexi, "Anthony has a girl in his room?"
     My best friend sighed with a roll of her eyes, "Yeah and they're a serious thing. At least they think they are."
    "Get out!" I said excitedly, "When did this happen?! Who is she?!"
    She laughed plopping down on her bed, "Don't get too excited, I don't think it'll last long."
     I sat down beside her, "Why not?"
      Lexi cringed, "She's not exactly Anthony's type if you know what I mean."
     Actually I didn't know. Anthony and I didn't talk about types of girls he liked, in fact we didn't talk period about love interests. I had no clue who was his type! I giggled, "Anthony has a type!"
      "Yeah but don't tell him I told you." Lexi winked a mischievous smile playing on her lips.
     Just then Anthony popped open Lexi's bedroom door, "Hey Jules, there's someone I want you to meet."
     I smiled brightly, "Sure thing!"
    Lexi grabbed my arm as I got off the bed, she pulled me back, "Quick! Run while you still can!" She joked.
    Anthony stepped in shoving his sister back he grabbed my hand, "Stop Lexi she's a great person." Then dragged me out of the room.
    Following Anthony into his room I squinted my eyes as my eyes adjusted to the dark. Anthony hardly ever turned his bedroom lights on. He preferred to just have his white Christmas lights on that went completely around his small bedroom. His bed was positioned in the far left side of the room beside his wooden desk that sat below the window. On the right wall was his wooden dresser. The carpeted floor was a light brown and there were piles of dirty or clean clothes I couldn't really tell laying all around. 
     "Jules, I'll like you to meet Taylor, Taylor this is Julia." Anthony sat down on his bed next to his girl.
     My foot hit a pile of clothes and I stumbled falling into Anthony who quickly grabbed me to steady me, he laughed breezily, "Careful or I'll have to start calling you clumsy." He teased.
       I flushed embarrassed that I had fell right onto him in front of his girl who I now turned to get a better look at. She was pretty, she has blond hair that had blue highlights and blue eyes that hid behind long eyelashes. She wore dark red lip stick on her lips and black ripped up jeans and a red crop top shirt that showed that she had a black belly button ring.
      "Hey." She said holding her hand out, "I'm Taylor Anthony's girlfriend."
      I shook her hand, "Julia, it's nice to meet you Taylor. I didn't even know Anthony had a girlfriend."
      Taylor turned to Anthony with a raise of her eyebrows, "Oh really?"
    Anthony rubbed the back of his neck nervously, "Well it's just I hadn't had the change to tell Jules, she's been hanging with Lexi most the time."
      "Wait wait wait, so Julia is Lexi's best friend but you are close friends with her as well?" Taylor asked looking from me to Anthony.
       He wrapped his arm around Taylor, "Yeah but you're the only girl I'm interested in." Anthony casually laid his hand on her thigh.
       Taylor leaned in close to Anthony her dark red lips inches from his, "Mmmmm good answer." They locked lips Taylor's hands getting lost in Anthony's hair and his arms going around her tightly.
      I turned my back to them, grossed by their actions. Who kisses like that in front of an audience anyways?! "Okay well, I'm going to go. Continue what ever it is you're doing!" I darted as fast as I could out of Anthony's bedroom and stumbling into Lexi's. I slammed her bedroom door with all my might and leaned against the door.
     Lexi burst out laughing at the state I was in. "Not exactly a memory you can erase can you?"
     I shook my head trying to clear the image of them kissing so passionately out of my head. "Since when did he get a girlfriend?!"
     "I don't think it'll last long, she's so different than him." Lexi said as I sat down next to her on the bed.
      "Spill! Tell me everything!" I said eagerly.
      Lexi turned on her bed so she faced me our knees touching each other she leaned in her voice nearly a whisper as she spoke, "Okay so Anthony meant Taylor at the mall about two weeks ago. He was eating Panda Express and she had a Subway sandwich and they sat down close to each other. Who knew my bro had the moves to strike a conversation with her, anyways they got to talking and have been dating ever since." Lexi was cut short as a loud laughter came from the wall. Lexi rolled her eyes, "More like they've been kissing ever since. I seriously have never seen them go out! They're  always in his room making out or whatever."
      I wrinkled my nose, "Gross."
      Lexi slapped her thigh, "I know right?! I had no idea Anthony was that type of guy either to just are a girl to his room and keep her there."
      "Guys have needs I guess." I said with a shrug.
       "I think it's her somewhat I mean you saw the way she dressed and that belly button ring don't tell me you didn't see it!"
        "Yeah but opposites attract Lexi, and Anthony is an attractive man."
        Lexi gagged pretending to barf, "I'm going to pretend I didn't just hear you say that."
         "What? That opposites attract?"
          "No, that you think my brother is attractive!" Lexi raised her eyebrows teasingly at me, "You're not into him are you?"
         Startled I jumped off the bed and stepped backwards bumping into Lexi's closet door. "No! Of course not, Anthony and I are just friends and that's all I ever want it to be."
        Lexi laughed getting off her bed she stepped over to me, "Easy Jules, I'm just messing with you." She said with a grin and a slight twinkle in her eyes.
        I sighed with relief, "For a moment there I thought you were serious!"
       "Oh please, like you could ever like my brother in that way." she joked playfully poking me in my side, "Now let's go hang out in town away from these love birds."
                                                                  ~
        A few days later I sank my hands into the soapy water feeling around for the rag. I closed my eyes a feeling of peace settling over me as I scrubbed the dishes enjoying the warmth of bubbly water.
        I had came to Lexi's house to hang out, but Anthony had informed me that she was out with their mom doing something and won't be back for awhile. While I waited for her to get back I busied myself by washing some dirty dishes. I was sure Wanda won't mind she said their house was my house and that's exactly what I thought of it. Humming softly I flipped the cold tap water on and rinsed the China plate off suddenly two strong hands grabbed my waist lifting me off the ground.
      Screaming I swung my arms around wildly, I snatched the frying pan from the drying rack and went to hit the person on the head. He sat my feet back on the ground startled.
      "Woah mad lady with a frying pan!" Anthony snatched my wrist stopping me from knocking him out with the frying pan.
      "What the hell Anthony!" I yelled smacking his arm. My whole body trembled and I turned back to the sink dunking my shaking hands into the bubbly water to hide them.
         Anthony laughed, "Sorry, I couldn't help it I scared you so bad. You should have seen your face!" He stopped noticing that I wasn't laughing, his face turned serious, "Hey.... You okay?" He place his strong hands on my shoulders and gently rubbed them his touch was soothing.
          "I'm .... I'm fine you just startled me is all." I stumbled quickly my trembling hands still hiding in the warm soapy water.
         "You're trembling."
        "I'm fine Anthony." I gritted my teeth together as I tried to calm my beating heart.
       "Knock knock." Taylor said as she opened the front door.
      Anthony quickly stopped running my shoulders and turned around, "Hey Taylor." He greeted her with a big hug.
        "I'm not interrupting anything am I?" Taylor asked.
        "Course not, I was just helping Julia wash the dirty dishes."
     I turned around leaning against the sink, I nodded. A feeling of nausea was sweeping in to my stomach.
       "Wow you're here a lot." Taylor commented her arm around Anthony.
       "Yeah, this is my second home" I place my hand on my stomach.
       Taylor turned to Anthony taking both his hands, she gave him a flirtatious smile, "Since I'm not interrupting anything do you want to join me in your bedroom." She leaned close to his ear and whispered a few things. By the redness that blossomed on Anthony's cheeks I could tell he was slightly embarrassed. Taylor looked at me and gave me a small smile, "You won't mine if I steal him away would you?"
        I shook my head, "No go for it." Taylor had just started going up stairs with Anthony when I felt the taste of bile in my mouth. Dashing towards the trash can with my hand over my mouth I tried to make it in time, but I couldn't hold it. Before I knew it I had thrown up in my hand and vomit slipped out splattering on the kitchen floor.
       Anthony's feet ran down the stairs and he slid on his socks into the kitchen.
       Heat washed over my face, I snatched a paper towel roll and wiped the bile off my hand and leaned down to start wiping up the floor, "I'm so sorry." I mumbled, "I must be getting something.
       "Jules, what are you doing." He leaned down beside me  and took the paper towels from me, "Go rest, I'll get it cleaned up."
       I nodded meekly and let Anthony take over cleaning up my vomit, "I think..l think I should go home."
      "You're okay to drive?"
      "Yeah, you'll tell Lexi that I went home?"
      "No problem you feel better soon, Jules."
      As I went to the family room to get my flip flops I hadn't noticed that Taylor was at the stairs landing leaning against the wall. She looked annoyed it's not like I could help that I felt sick. I pushed past her not wanting to deal with it right now, all I wanted was to get home.
       Taylor peeked in at Anthony cleaning up the vomit, "I guess our make out session is out of the question."
                                                                ~
       About forty-five minutes later I made it home without throwing up again. I grabbed my soft fuzzy navy blue blanket and turning on Netflix I settled in for hours of 'Once Upon a Time' episodes.
         After watching three episodes my mom and younger sister Emerson came home with bags of groceries. Mom looked at me laying on the couch, "Why aren't you with Lexi?"
          "I got sick so I came home, but I'm feeling better now."
          "Good you can help with groceries then." Emerson said setting bags on the table before going outside to get more from the Pathfinder.
          Mom looked over at me as I started putting the food away, "You might want to take it easier tonight and not eat a whole bunch if you're getting sick."
         I nodded, "I'm going to go to bed early tonight anyways."
         Being faithful to my words I did go to bed early that night and didn't eat much like my mom suggested.
        I felt better the next day but still took it easy laying around the house watching Netflix. Lexi came over and kept me company.
         "Okay so I have 'Cinderella Story' or 'Step Up Revolution' take you pick." Lexi said holding the movies up in the air.
          "Ohh let's do 'Step up'! You know Sean is super hot."
          Lexi placed 'Cinderella Story' back in her bag, "I have to agree with you his butt is super fine." She giggled.
            "Ah Lexi, you're so bad!" I smacked her with the pillow. A smile crossing my lips I had the best best friend ever. Things were really getting better, my nightmares were less, though I still turned my nightlight on before going to sleep, my jitters weren't as bad either. It looks like was going to be okay. "I'm going to use the restroom real quick." I jumped up from the couch as Lexi put the movie in the DVD player. I hummed softly while I washed my hands in the bathroom sink as I true do to go back out to Lexi I paused and looked at my body in the mirror, my bruises may be gone but the scars of what happened still remained. I don't know if they're ever go away. I frowned as I looked at myself closely in the full length mirror. Turning I looked at my reflection of my legs and butt in the mirror. I've put on some extra weight this summer that I didn't notice before. My thighs and butt looked bigger, even my tummy was getting a little fat. "Ugh you're going to have to start going to the gym, Jules." I said to myself as I left the bathroom. Lexi already had the movie at the menu and was heating a bag of popcorn up.
       "Hey girl, is salt okay on the popcorn or do you want cheddar?"
         "Salt is fine, but go light okay? I think I've gained some weight." I said as I poured us two glasses of lemonade. "You don't think I look fat do you?"
         She laughed, "You getting fat, that's not possible." Lexi grabbed the white popcorn bowl with it filled to the top with popcorn she lopped her free arm through mine and we went off to watch the movie.
        The Step Up movies have always been one of my favorite movies about dancing. Watching it with my best friend always brought up my spirit. We laughed and tried doing a few of the dance moves ourselves falling in the process. After the movie Lexi drove home, she hated driving in the dark and wanted to make it home before the sun went down.
                                                                    ~
       I groaned and slowly sat up in bed the next day. My stomach churned and I felt the urge to throw up. Not again, I felt fine yesterday! I grumbled to myself stumbling out of bed I made my way to the bathroom. I drowned my face in cold water splashing the water with my hands onto my face somehow made the nauseous feeling to go away.
         My brother Coby was in the kitchen opening cupboards and slamming them as he got ready for the day. He turned towards the doorway as I came in, "Oh hey you're up, listen mom and Emerson went to a friend's house and dad's at work. Looks like it's just you and me today. I work later tonight at ThinkGeek."
         "Oh yay...." I said with little enthusiasm as I sank into the kitchen chair still trying to wake up. I wrinkled my nose, "Ugh what's that smell, Coby?"
         Coby's blond hair bounced as walked over to me with a can, "Oh it's just my sardines. Do you want some?"
         As the waffling smell of the fish got to my nose I felt nauseous. Placing my hand over my mouth I ran to the sink and gagged as I vomited.
        My brother wrinkled his nose, "Gross you sicko." He picked up a sardine and popped it in his mouth.
         I wiped my mouth on a paper towel, "There's just something going around." I said leaning over the sink incase I threw up again.
         "Whatever just don't give it to me."
           When I felt like I was done throwing up I slowly walked to the couch. I sighed as I sat down and searched through Netflix. "Hmmm 'The Backup Plan' sounds good." I leaned back and placed one of the soft couch pillows on my stomach hoping my stomach bug would go away soon.
       I watched the character Zoey who has never meant the right man decide that she is going to use her backup plan to have a child on her own. I laughed as she met a guy in a taxi and he flirted some with her.
        The tv screen showed Zoey and her friend casually working out, Zoey all the while tell her friend about the guy and how their first date went.
        "You're going to see him again?"
        "I think so, but what if I'm pregnant?" Zoey asked lifting some weights.
       Frantically I snatched the remote and paused the movie. Finding the rewind button I rewound and played it again.
         "You're going to see him again?"
        "I think so, but what if I'm pregnant?" Zoey asked lifting some weights.
         I paused it again my brain turning in my head. Pregnant, what if I'm pregnant?! Fear clogged my mind as I thought about it. I mean I did have sex even if I wasn't content and it was rape it could still possibly happen. As much as I hated to think back on that day I forced myself to go back to that day in Christina's bedroom and to Salvador. I shivered as I remember the feel of his hands groping me and his body crushing into me. I never remembered him putting a condom on and I wasn't on brith control because I wasn't planning on having sex anytime soon. My palms started to feel sweaty and clammy as the thought of being pregnant took over my head. I've vomited twice this week, what if I was  nauseous because I'm having morning sickness; but at the same time what if it is just the flu? Or what about the extra weight I gained? Now that I was thinking about it I'm a few days late for my period as well. But what was the chances of me even being pregnant? How many rape victims get pregnant by their raper?
       I jumped off the couch there was only one way to answer this question. Feeling less nauseous I made a mad dash to the door grabbing my keys I flipped my flip flops on.
      "Hey! Where do you think you're going you were puking your guts up just a half an hour ago?!" Coby questioned me.
       I rolled my eyes, "Don't be so dramatic Coby, I'm just going to CVS in our small town to get some flu medicine I'll be back shortly."
        Before he could say another word I opened the door, "Wait you little! There's no such thing a flu medicine you wacko!"  He yelled out the door at me. I ignored him and hopped into my car gunning the engine I put it in reverse and was off.
      It took me about five minutes to drive to CVS. Once there I knew right where to go. I bit my lip as I stared at the pregnancy test on the shelf in front of me. Did I really want to do this? If I bought the test and it came out positive what then? It would change everything.  Looking both ways to make sure nobody I knew accidentally saw me, not that anyone would. Teens didn't really hang out in a pharmacy store. I grabbed a pregnancy test with the easiest instructions and hurried to the check out counter. The lady looked up at me as she scanned the pregnancy test. She didn't say anything, but I thought I saw a look of sympathy in her eyes.
       Thanking her I took my bag and left. Instead of going to my car though I cut across the parking lot to the library. No way was I going to go home and do the test! I found my way to the library's bathroom and locked the door behind me. From there I followed the directions carefully making sure I did them exactly right. There wasn't much to it, you peed in a cup, stick the right end of the test in the urine, then pull it out and wait three minutes for the sign to appear. While I waited for my timer to ding I reread the instructions to be sure I knew what each sign meant. If I got one line it would be negative and then two lines meant positive.
        "Wow three minutes already." I mumbled as my timer dinged. I turned to the pregnancy test and held it up so I could see the little screen. I gasped and dropped it into the bathroom sink where it rattle before laying still. My heart jumped a mile my mind spinning, maybe I read it wrong. I picked it up again. "No, no no nooooo this can't be happening!" I scrambled for the pregnancy test box where two more pregnancy test were left. Grabbing them in my hand I used them both, the tests weren't always accurate right? Placing my hands on my forehead I paced the bathroom floor as I waited for the last two tests to show the lines. "Please, please, please be wrong!" I whispered when the time came to look. Taking a deep breath I looked at the tests and bit back a sob as all three tests stared back at me each with two pink lines, I'm pregnant.