Chapter 8: Innocence

Beautiful artwork made by Randompeephere <3

__________________________________________________

Naomi bites her lip and stands awkwardly as she watches Malachi talk to the queen who sits on her throne in the dimly lit hall with red carpets and a long fireplace in the center of the room. Her blue eyes are patient and kind. She has light blonde hair tied back in a neat bun, with a silver jeweled tiara rested atop her head. She's wearing a salmon-colored gown with white lace around the cuffs of her sleeves and the bottom of the dress.

Malachi keeps his arms crossed and his gaze on her as she talks. Her voice is calm and steady and she speaks slowly, choosing each word with care. "If I am understanding right, you are asking me to lend assistance to the Dev'al Ordon. To Athemar Du'Keldan. I am all for helping where I can, however, I am unsure if helping the High Order is in the best interest of Aramora, let alone Balmoral. If you wish for my help, I am going to need more information," Socles says and sits stiffly on her throne.

Malachi sighs and drops his arms. "Trust me, your majesty; I'm no friend of Athemar or his 'redcloaks' either. But this goes beyond them. Unfortunately, we have no choice but to help them. Aramora is in danger of falling. Some kinda mass destruction over the entire continent. We need your help to prevent this," he starts.

Socles nods slowly. "Yes, and I don't doubt in Athemar's ability to see future eventualities, but it is no secret that the Dev'al Ordon's public image has become... tainted over the years. Aiding them could make the other leaders of the continent believe I am in alliance with the order, leaving Balmoral as a supposed accessory to their plight."

Nesosa snickers. "Isn't Balmoral already blamed fur all the crime on the continent? What difference would it make?" she asks. Malachi glares back at her before turning towards Socles again.

The queen sighs. "Yes. It is unfortunate that the... guild has... tainted our image as the Dev'al Ordon has tainted theirs... However, to the public eye, aiding them wouldn't be anything more than combining two evils to decide what's best for them. All the secrecy doesn't help either," she states.

Malachi grumbles and nods. "The problem here isn't public images, it's the fate of the land. But if you're really that worried about it, then no one outside of this palace needs to know about your involvement. Just give us what we need and we'll take care of the rest."

"And what exactly do you need?" Socles crosses her hands daintily in her lap as she waits patiently for an answer.

"We need the Schism Fragment. We know you have it and it's vital to our mission. Hand it over and no one needs to know about your involvement," Malachi states.

Socles tenses and looks down for a moment. "You need... the fragment." She bites her lip and takes a deep breath.

Lavern eyes her suspiciously, raising a curious brow as he studies her slight change in demeanor.

Naomi nods. "Yes. We were told that each leader of Aramora is in possession of one and that we need to find them in order to—"

Malachi covers her mouth. "In order to fulfill the classified task from the Dev'al Ordon." He glares at her before slowly turning back to the queen.

Socles sighs and clears her throat, sitting up straight again. "I'm sorry, but... I am in no position to assist your order. I will lend you no aid," she states.

Nesosa scoffs. "What pairt o' 'mass destruction o' Aramora' dae ye nae understand?" she questions with narrowed eyes.

The queen shifts her expression to be unreadably stone-faced. "I understand plenty. My answer is final. I can't give you the fragment. Now go before I have one of my guards escort you out," she says sternly and motions to the large wooden doors.