Chapter 13: No One is Innocent

Amazing cover image made by Shreya_VA <3

__________________________________________________

Lavern feels his consciousness slowly return, the cold air of night surrounding him and sending chills down his spine with a crisp breeze. He blinks his eyes open, only to see that he is still in the field where they had been attacked. Only now, he's sitting with his back against the lone tree, tight ropes keep him bound to the scratchy bark of the trunk.

He feels restrained movement tug on the ropes from the opposite side of the tree. He leans over with limited access and glances back over his shoulder to see Nesosa pulling at the ropes and growling incoherent curses and muffled sounds of frustration.

She isn't in her full centaur form. A pair of normal human legs replace where her horse half would be, so Lavern doesn't even question why she's shifting her arse so uncomfortably.

"Nesosa?" Lavern asks and feels her stop tugging and let out an irritated huff.

"Well good fuckin' mornin' tae ye tae, Lav. Glad ye could finally join me in this fuckin' shithole we're in. Now we kin die together! Ain't that just barry!"

Lavern chuckles. "What happened to your legs?" he asks.

Nesosa growls and kicks her legs furiously. "Nae clue! Nae matter how hard ah try, ah just can't change back. This is a pumpin' nightmare if I've ever seen one!"

The Adaliaen sighs and looks around. "Where are Naomi and Malachi? Have you seen them?"

Nesosa scoffs and shakes her head. "Nae! Ah just woke up a few minutes ago! I've got nae fuckin' scooby what's goin on!" She leans her head down and tries biting at the rope, then growling out her irritation and hitting her head against the tree.

"Ugh! Get these damn things off o' me afore ah rip th' pumpin' tree out o' the ground 'n' shove it up yer bahookie, ye weaselly wee shart!" she exclaims.

"Nes, I'm tied up too. I can't do anything to help. We need to think of a plan to get out of this." He looks down and thinks. The centaur huffs and rolls her eyes.

"Well think quicker! Mah bahookie is pumpin' uncomfortable, ah was stabbed in the shoulder, 'n' tae top it all off, I'm nae even drunk through all o' this!"

Lavern tries wriggling down through the ropes, but Nesosa's tugging makes it impossible to move. "You know, it would make this easier if you helped."

"What the bugger dae ye want me tae dae? I've got nae weapons 'n' ah sure as hell have got nae magic tae teleport us tae pumpin' Conarita sae we kin dram cocktails with mermaids 'n' fairies! Seriously, what dae ye think ah kin dae in this gods awfy, mingin' human form with nae magic or weapons 'n' only an itchy bahookie while tied tae a pumpin' tree with a fuckin' elf who also haes nae magic?!"

Lavern shakes his head in bewilderment and laughs achingly. "I've got no fuckin' clue a word you just said," he says through his laughter. Nesosa growls.

"O' course ye don't; you're sittin' over there a' crakin' 'n' comfy while I'm ower 'ere feeling lik' mah tail haes bin shoved up mah arsehole 'n' tickling mah sphinct lik' a fuckin' druthy pixie is dusting mah rectum! Ye don't get tae complain aboot jobby!"

Lavern just laughs uncontrollably, making Nesosa angrier and she tugs harder on the ropes. "What th' bugger dae ye think you're laughing aboot? You'll be jammy if ah don't break yer arm just fur a good laugh o' mah own, ye fuckin' wank stain!"

The Adaliaen continues with his fit of laughter, trying to speak in the brief moments he gets a chance to breathe. As soon as his hysteria begins dying down a small bit, he shifts to the side as best he can and wiggles the top rope over her shoulder. He goes to push down on the next one, but Nesosa's tugging pulls it tighter against him.