Chapter 22: Side Quest

Beautiful artwork made by Randompeephere <3

__________________________________________________

"What do you think the news is?" Naomi asks as she rocks back and forth in one of the comfy chairs lined up in the Boardroom of the Divine Temple. It feels kinda strange being back here, even though it hasn't been that long since the last time. Maybe it just feels longer because of the unfortunate events that have happened since they first set out on this quest.

But now they're back, sitting and waiting for more bad news. Hurray.

"Who knows. If it was something small, he either would have written it in the letter, or not bothered to write at all. Doesn't exactly make me feel good about all this," Nisha says and leans over the table with her head rested atop her arms.

Nesosa decided to remain standing despite the custom seat made for centaurs that's still here. Lavern also stays standing and leaned against a wall near the door, impatiently waiting for the Grand Master to show up and tell them the news already so he can leave.

Malachi has been quiet, but his annoyance shows on his face. Nothing he loves more than to be at the great Athemar Du'Keldan's beck and call for every little thing that comes up. But on top of that, he also has an uneasy feeling. It's similar to how he felt the night he was meant to meet Colin in Eelry, before he even saw the smoke and fires. It's not quite as bad, but that feeling of apprehension certainly lingers.

Nesosa grumbles and fidgets in place. "Ah swear, if it's about th' shit that happened in Arkala, A'm aff tae be pissed," she huffs. Lavern glances at her with a glare before looking away and staring at the ground.

Naomi shrugs and crosses her legs in her chair. "Maybe he's got news on this 'mystery man'?" she suggests. Nisha flicks her ear towards her and slightly lifts her head.

"I... doubt it. I've had no luck all that time I spent searching, so I doubt something new's come up in the few days I haven't been looking," she says.

Naomi turns her attention to her. "Well... aren't there other agents looking, too? Like that 'Blackwell' chick?" she asks.

Nisha's ears lower and she scoffs. "Right... Her," she mumbles and turns her gaze downward to glare at the table. Her tail flicks irritably.

Naomi goes to ask her what her deal is with Sara, but she closes her mouth as the door beside Lavern opens and Grand Master Athemar steps through with a forlorn gaze plastered across his face. He walks into the room at a slow pace, which is when they notice that Sarabeth is with him.

She's no longer wearing the fancy dress from Arkala, and instead she wears a sky-blue cloak and black and dark blue leather armor that hugs tightly to her form, and her brown hair is down to shoulder-length.

As she walks through the door, she glances at Lavern and smiles with narrowed eyes. "Good to see you've recovered, Sir Dev'Alrich. I was afraid your wounds may have been... fatal," she says breathily before turning her attention forward and following Athemar over to the map he has of Aramora.

He stares at it with his back turned to everyone, and they all wait in silence before the Grand Master finally speaks. "We have received dire news..." he starts. Everyone stays quiet as they wait for him to continue.

He closes his eyes and crosses his hands behind his back, slightly lowering his head to the map with a hollow deep breath.

"...Another city has fallen victim to the voracious Drynthar," he says with mournful hush to his voice.

Everyone sits up straight in their seats and Nesosa turns to face the Grand Master. Lavern just lifts his head and watches to see where this is going to go. This isn't what he was expecting, but he was prepared for bad news so he's not too affected by this.