Chapter 29: Trial of Aptitude

Amazing cover image made by Shreya_VA <3

__________________________________________________

The projection on the stone wall shows the group gathered in the Kirix Fortress that Lavern and Nesosa have made it through the first trial. They are now making their way through another long hall with torch sconces dimly lighting the musty pass.

They are beyond relieved that the things Nesosa seems to be facing are just illusions and nothing that can actually hurt her. But when they recall what Nesosa's brothers said about the test, assuming it was true, they said that the people who don't pass the test die. But so far there hasn't really seemed to be anything that could kill them.

Then again, Nesosa passed the first trial. Who knows what would have happened if she didn't. Maybe those flesh construct illusions would have dropped the silhouette and tried to kill Nesosa had she not done what she needed to do.

But now, they watch and wait for the trial that comes next. From what Malachi recalls Evgenia saying, the second trial is called the 'Trial of Aptitude'. A test of intelligence shouldn't be too bad. It's likely the worst threat there is a migraine if it doesn't happen to be multiple choice. And getting an F is probably more terrifying in this test than it is in midterm finals.

As they watch, their attention is quickly pulled away from the stone wall projection which Naomi made a point to explain to Nisha that this is basically what movies are where she's from, and they look towards the lumbering wooden doors of the fortress to see Nesosa's father, Galian, rush in and gallop over to them.

He forces himself to keep his eyes off the projection as to follow the tradition of not knowing how Nesosa's Warrior Test is going and he looks at the Tribe Leader.

"Yer grace, we have a problem," he says breathlessly.

Evgenia turns her attention onto him and stands firm. "Wha' is th' issue, soldier?"

Everyone now has their focus on him as it seems like Nesosa and Lavern are going to be walking this hallway for a while and they see the panic on his face.

Galian points towards the doors. "It's about what our scouts reported yesterday that required our attention," he starts. "At th' border o' th' mountain pass, our patrol was ambushed by a small battalion consisting entirely o' Tus'Felnis," he explains and the Tribe Leader nods her regrettable understanding.

"Narvadin, ah presume?" she says and her face hardens. Fear strikes Naomi and Malachi's hearts, and Nisha stifles a gasp and clenches her fists at her sides while her tail swishes aggressively across the stone floor.

Galian nods and crosses his arms. "Aye. Our rank was luckily able tae fend off th' ambush. We dealt wi' most o' them, but we believe there were some stragglers who managed tae slip away thro' th' auld smuggle routes off th' Bacri'Vas coast."

"Have ye sent th' search party?" Evgenia asks.

"Aye, yer grace. Nothing has turned up yet, a'm afraid," Galian responds.

Now the Tribe Leader motions to the door. "Go command th' troops 'n' have them run multiple sweeps over th' southern 'n' western regions of th' Bacri'Vas 'n' dae what ye must tae find th' damned cats before they can infiltrate th' city," she orders in a voice that makes a shiver run down Naomi's spine.

Galian nods firmly and doesn't hesitate to turn and gallop out the door at full speed with his halberd held ready.

Evgenia sighs and shakes her head. "There've been more 'n' more sightings o' these blasted spies each day. If they are now advancing on Kilead, that must mean they are preparing fur something big, but it's too early tae tell what that might be," she grumbles.