Chapter 9: Outside the Walls

Amazing cover image made by Shreya_VA <3

__________________________________________________

After the sun has set and the sky is left black with shimmering stars and the moon shining bright, Naomi, Malachi, and Nesosa make their way down the old cobblestone road leading away from Balmoral and into the dark, misty forest. Distant howls can be heard echoing throughout the night from all directions, sounding against the wisp of the cool night's wind.

As they walk, Naomi's mind wanders back to earlier. She can't get Lavern's words out of her head but she doesn't know why.

I thought you of all people would see sense amongst this bullshit, but you're just like everyone else.

Naomi has spent most of her life being the exact opposite. She and her friends were always the odd ones out, separated from everyone else at their school. She doesn't have a problem with that, she takes pride in it. How could being different be a bad thing? It's not a weakness, it's a strength. It makes her unpredictable, which makes it fun. So being told that she's just like everyone else gives her a feeling that possibly resembles guilt with a hint of uncertainty.

It makes her wonder what she did wrong. Just the other day Lavern was telling her that he wanted to be her friend, and that made her feel better about missing Nisha. But now something must have happened to make him change his mind, something that's probably her fault.

Trying to set the thoughts aside and focus on the present while the doubts still linger in her mind, Naomi sighs and looks forward over Nesosa's shoulder from her place atop her back.

"So... how are we going to do this?" she asks, her voice sounds off and she hopes no one notices.

Nesosa grins eagerly. "Nae much tae it. Just find one o' th' damn things 'n' slaughter it. Ah can't wait tae run mah blade through its jugular," she says and her eyes light up.

Malachi groans and shakes his head. "Wouldn't a more... tactful plan be better? We're dealing with werewolves for crying out loud."

Nesosa scoffs. "That's fine fur ye, bit I'm goin' tae murdurr them however ah damn well please. Nae fun in bein' 'tactful'." She rolls her eyes.

Malachi frowns. "This isn't supposed to be fun," he states.

"Um, aye. Which is exactly how come I'm making it fun. Have a go tae keep up, auldjin." She slices her blade through a low-hanging tree branch.

Naomi looks off over the dark forest and sighs sadly. The doubts return to the forefront of her mind despite her mental protests. She should be focusing on the job, but thoughts of Lavern never cease to intrude.

Hearing the absent sigh of unease, Malachi glances back at her. "What is it?" he asks.

Naomi frowns and looks down. "Do either of you... know what's going on with Lavern? Why was he getting so upset earlier?" she asks.

Nesosa shrugs. "Hell if ah ken. He's just insane fur wanting tae protect those monsters. They're animals, nae people," she states.

Naomi looks to Malachi, only to see him as he looks forward again and stays silent, keeping his focus on the trees and shadows. She wasn't really expecting any input from him and at this point, it's probably best to not get her hopes up.

The distant howling has stopped for now, leaving their footsteps and the wind the only sounds in the dead silence of the night. Through the woods down the path they tread, a low hanging fog rolls in over the dead autumn leaves blanketing the forest floor, making it hard to watch their step.