Chapter 27: Restoring Honor

Amazing cover image made by Shreya_VA <3

__________________________________________________

The anxiety in the air heavily weighs down on everyone who was forced to wait outside the fortress of the Kirix Tribe while Nesosa and Malachi went inside to speak with the leader of the Kirix Tribe, Evgenia Val'Kirix. If this is the extent of the apprehension they are feeling, they can't imagine how it must feel to actually be in there face-to-face with the leader of the tribe you've been shunned by.

Nesosa's father, Galian, had to leave not long after they all woke up due to some issue that they don't know much about as it seemed pretty confidential. In his absence, Jerair, Naomi, Nisha and Lavern are forced to babysit Corb and Todo while they wait for the missing members of their party to return.

Jerair has to swiftly rush over to the edge of the cliff to catch Corb as Todo nearly knocked him off, but unlike in the canyon, the top of a mountain at the edge of the Recharn Sea is not exactly an ideal place to fall. Maybe it would be if the sea was clear, but the Recharn Sea is notorious for its jagged rocks and violent waves.

"Boys, please, settle down! We are in front of the Kirix Fortress so we need to show the proper respect. So let's all just take a deep breath and relax. I know you kids have a lot of energy running through you right now, but how about we turn it into positive energy, okay?" Jerair says as he pushes his sons away from the edge of the cliff and back towards Naomi, Nisha and Lavern where they're standing closer to the fortress entrance.

Corb steps away from his dad and bangs his fist on his chest. "Alright, Father! With my positive energy I am certain I can survive dropping off that cliff!" he says and rushes around Jerair to try going over the edge of the cliff again.

Nisha sighs. "Hey kids," she calls to them.

Mid-sprint, Corb skids to a halt and turns to look at her and Todo does the same. "Yes, oh mighty Lioness?" Corb asks with his hand over his heart.

Nisha snickers and nods to Lavern, "I don't think Lavern, here, has passed the Warrior's Test," she hints with a grin and elbows Lavern's shoulder.

"What are you doing?" Lavern whispers viciously.

Nisha rolls her eyes. "You're a Cle, they'd be lucky to be able to catch you. Just keep them busy and don't let them get themselves killed, alright?"

Lavern sighs and throws his head back as the two boys look him over intently.

"Hm... It seems the Lioness is correct, Brother!" Todo exclaims.

Corb firmly nods to accentuate his agreement. "Indeed, Brother! Let us put this elf through the Warrior's Test! If he makes it out without losing his entrails, he is worthy! Brother, charge!" the boy shouts and they both start sprinting full-force at Lavern, who swiftly dodges out of the way of their attempted strike.

Before running off, he glares at Nisha. "I hate you," he deadpans which results in a playful wink from the Tus'Felnis.

Naomi and Nisha watch Lavern run off with the centaur boys charging after him with their fists in the air and Corb finds and grabs a stick, wielding it like a greatsword.

Jerair sighs with relief and walks over to them. "Oh, thank you. I hope your friend will be alright. My boys can get pretty rough sometimes," he says and sits down with his horse legs folded under him.

Nisha shrugs and stretches her arms back. "Don't worry, I know how to deal with violent preteen boys. My little brothers were a lot like them, only a bit less bloodthirsty, and that's saying something coming from a family of pirates," she chuckles and brings her arms back down to rest her hands in her lap.