Chapter 14: the parting

You sighed, leaning against the giant window of the room you stood in. Out in space, you could see all the stars shining brightly, giving you a strange calming but exiting feeling.

Of course Fett hadn't been there anymore when you woke up. He had already left to talk with Vader, at least that's what a stormtrooper had told you. You still felt a bit disappointed, but what else would you have expected. Him cuddling you, pressing you to his chest? No, you wouldn't have expected that. Wished maybe, but not expected. Boba Fett was the most feared bounty hunter after all, you would never have a special place in his life.

At this thought, your heart stung suddenly. Until know, you had never really thought about it, but now that you caught the bounty, it would mean goodbye. Fett clearly had said only one job and who were you to ignore it.

You closed your eyes, inhaling the surprisingly clean air. You had what you wanted. Lots of money, a better reputation for sure. But still, something felt off at the thought of leaving Fett. Sure, he could be brutal and a total asshole, but you had seen his soft, you even dared to say caring side. The way he spoke with you made your heart flutter, always friendlier and softer than to anyone else.

You admitted it made you a bit proud, knowing that the bounty hunter had a soft spot for you, but now, it had went too far. When you had woken up in the morning, he had already been gone, you had regretted your actions from the night before. You still did. It had felt wrong, but so right at the same time.

You shook your head. Thinking about it wouldn't help anything. Soon, all of this would be history. The same moment, the door opened with a hiss and the bounty hunter stepped inside.

"You ready?" He asked and you could only nod.

You followed him out of the room, through the hallways and back to his ship. All the way, none of you spoke a word. For you, the awkward silence felt almost unbearable. You wanted nothing more than going back to your own life, but at the same time your heart ached at the thought of leaving a possible new life behind, a life with Boba Fett as friend and not as rival.

Both of you stepped into the ship and sat down, still in awkward silence. He started the engines and flew out of the star destroyer. A few switches later and slave 1 jumped into hyperspace, only this time you couldn't really enjoy the beautiful lights. Your mood changed from ashamed to sad as the realisation hit you that you really had to leave him. A sigh escaped your lips and Fett turned his head towards you. You kind of expected him to say something, but a heartbeat later he turned his head back to his controls.

Time passed, you didn't know how long you sat there in silence, but after some time, you must've dozen off, you arrived back at Tatooine. Of course he would return you to Mos Eisley, your ship was somewhere there.

Again the thought you had to leave him crossed your mind and again, your heart dropped. It hurt, but why, you asked yourself. A voice inside you told you you already knew, but you suppressed that thought immediately. He was the best bounty hunter in the galaxy, your rival and idol, that was it. Maybe a new found ally. Nothing more.

You were so lost in your thoughts that you didn't realise the bounty hunter had already left the cockpit. Only when he called you noticed you were already staring at the sand dunes of Tatooine outside the window. With a sigh, you stood up and climbed down, finding him waiting for you at the open hatch. You stepped next to him, felling his gaze on you even through the visor of his helmet.

"I guess this is goodbye." You said and winced internally at the obvious disappointment in your voice.

"I guess it is."

Silence fell over the two of you, until the bounty hunter spoke again.

"It was an honor to work with you, (Y/n) (L/n)." He said and you looked up in surprise. "I look forward to see you as my rival."

With these words, he turned away and walked back inside his ship, leaving you behind with a glimpse of hope of seeing him again. Smiling slightly, you stepped out of the Slave 1, into the bright light of Tatooine's twin suns, making your way into town.

Hours had passed and you were still walking around aimlessly. It was not you didn't find back to your ship, but you needed the walk to process the recent events. The suns were already setting and soon darkness fell over Mos Eisley. A yawn escaped your lips and you decided it was time to get some sleep, so you turned around a corner and into an alley, which you knew was a short cut. A bit sleepy, you scratched your head, as a sudden voice made you stop in your tracks.

"Hello, jedi."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry this is kinda short, but after all the comments I have revived I decided to update today at least a bit 😅

Hope you enjoyed and aren't too upset about the cliffhanger ;)