Chapter 16: death

When you woke up again, everything felt kind of unreal. It was like a dream. You couldn't move your body, you could barely open your eyes enough to see, but you felt like floating in a cloud. You felt warm and safe and you would've almost went back to sleep, if you hadn't remembered the recent events.

Your instincts screamed to get up and open your eyes, but there was no reaction of your body. Trying to calm yourself, you concentrated on your hands at first. Trying to move your fingers was a funny feeling. You knew they moved, but you couldn't feel anything.

A movement next to you made you hold your breath. You weren't alone. Your first thought was Thei'ra, or rather the fake Thei'ra. Did he get you? What did he do to you now? What did he do to you in the first place?

"Are you awake?" A sudden voice interrupted your thoughts.

You allowed yourself to relax a bit as you didn't recognise the voice as Thei'ra's, still, it sounded slightly familiar. For some reason, it calmed and comforted you and you felt safe.

Again, you heard a movement, then, suddenly, a burning sensation shot from your hand through your arm. It was hot. Too hot. Your skin burned like fire and you would've winced, if your body would've been able to move. Slowly, the heat passed and turned into a pleasant warmth. Now you realised why you haven't been able to feel your hands, they were cold. Your entire body must've been cold.

"I saw your hands move." The male voice continued, now almost pleading. "So if you're awake, please give me a sign."

You surely would've tried, if you would've known how.

"Okay, let's say, if you're awake, squeeze my hand two times, got it? Can you do that?"

Now you realised that the warmth on your hand must've been another hand, holding yours. Hesitating, you squeezed it, two times, which was followed by a relieved sigh of the person next to you.

"That's- that's good." A heartbeat the voice went quiet, before it started talking again.

"How are you feeling? Does something hurt? Do you need anything?"

If you could've moved, you would've rolled your eyes. You squeezed the hand one time to shut the man up. Much to your surprise, he stopped a moment.

"Oh, right, sorry." He said. "Let's say two times for yes, one time for no, okay? Can you move?"

It took you a few seconds to realise he wanted you to squeeze his hand in response, and as he asked his question you almost would've laughed, well, if you could've moved. You squeezed his hand one time.

'No'

"Alright, uh, are you okay?"

What was that even for a question? You probably should've tried to calm the man, but you had no interest in lying to make someone feel better, or at least not right now.

'No'

"Are you hurt? Does something hurt?"

You couldn't even feel your body. How should you know if something hurt?

'No'

"Are you feeling alright? Are you cold? Are you-"

'Yes'

You quickly squeezed his hands two times, interrupting his line of questions. You didn't feel it but you knew you were cold. Incredibly cold.

Again, the person paused, before he muttered a curse and mumbled something you couldn't quite make out. You heard shifting, then something got grabbed your arms and upper body. Heat burned through your skin, your flesh and you surely would've screamed if you had had your voice. You were lifted up and sat down again, on something hot. Your body prickled because of the heat, but you clasped your teeth, not wanting to show any sign of weakness. Not that you could.

"I'm sorry." The voice said. "I've got no blankets on the ship right now, I hope you're okay with this."

Before you could even ask yourself what 'this' was supposed to be, two arms were wrapped around your body and pulled you closer towards the source of the warmth.

And from one moment to another, you suddenly felt safe. It was a feeling impossible to describe. Everything seemed so familiar, even though you had no idea why. The voice, the warmth, the arms wrapped around you, even the smell seemed familiar.

"Feeling better?" The voice interrupted your thoughts and you slowly moved your head to nod, but your neck was still tense and cold.

As if he had read your mind, the man moved his hand to your neck, making it burn with the heat of his skin.

"You're so cold." He whispered, his hand moving up and down your neck and shoulders, spreading a pleasant warmth through your body.

Under normal circumstances, you would've done something. You would've punched or kicked or anything to defend yourself, but these weren't normal circumstances. And you didn't feel threatened. You felt safe.

Slowly, the feeling came back to your limbs. It felt good to finally being able to move and you shifted a bit, only to flinch at the sudden pain that shot through your spine.

"Everything alright?" The man asked and you nodded, or rather tried, but the pain made it almost impossible. Still, you somehow you managed.

Slowly, you opened your eyes. At first, your eight was blurry, but the more you blinked, the clearer it became. A face appeared in front of you and you stared a bit confused. The man stared at you a bit worried and you stared back into his dark eyes. A blush creeped up your face and you tried to sit up, but something held you back. A short glance told you you sat in his lap, his arms wrapped around you protectively. You tried to speak, but all that came out was a croaking, making you clear your throat.

"Do I know you?" It finally came out, and the man chuckled.

"After all this time we spent together, I believed you would at least recognize my voice."

It took you a moment to realize why his voice sounded so familiar the whole time.

"Fett?" You asked and again, the man chuckled.

"Who else?"

You shrugged and again winced at the sharp pain that shot through your spine.

"Careful." Fett said and you filled your eyes.

"How long was I out."

"Not for long. A few days."

"What happened?" You groaned, not daring to move.

"I don't know. All I saw was you dropping to the ground."

"Then I was lucky my knight in shining beskar was there to save me." You chuckled, but froze as soon as you sad his expression.

"You were dead, (Y/n)." He said, staring into your eyes.

"Dead?" You repeated slowly. "But- wait, if I was dead, how am I here?"

"I-"

"Fett, tell me! If I was dead, how am I here?"

He sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"I- I don't know how to explain."

"Then try."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm back! With a short and really bad chapter but I'm back.

School stuff is finally over, holidays will start soon soooo time to write again! :D

I hope I'll manage to publish more frequently in the next weeks

I love you all and thank you all for your support! <3