Chapter 18

"Death is not an end but a new beginning to something beyond mortal life. But you're worthy enough to walk on that new path only at the end of the path you're currently following – life. Don't deviate from this path to chase after the unknown."

🖤🖤🖤

I moved cautiously through the rows and rows of neat desks and chairs. Everything was polished and gleaming. People sat in their own places, busy with work. Piles of papers and registers were stacked in front of them. A few were staring into the screen of their computers. Some of them had frustrated expressions on their faces, obviously flustered by the sudden attempts at modernization. Overall, the office of the Fates was a real hubbub of activities.

A lot of eyes turned up as I swished past them. I could see a few ogling at me, as if I was a tasty piece of meat. They assessed me from head to toe. A few sneered, some hooted. It took everything in me not to wrap my arms around myself and escape from there. But I needed the password, and a busy office is the best place to sweet-talk someone into divulging things they shouldn't.

Towards the corner of the room, a lone guy sat there. He seemed to be oblivious to all that was happening. He was holding his head in his hands. Time and again, he would look up and glance around nervously. His eye would stare blankly at the screen, and then he would rub his eyes and grab a fistful of hair and make a face at the computer. I quickly brushed past the other guys who snickered disrespectfully and glided to the solitary guy's desk. He didn't even respond.

"Hey," I said, unsure of myself.

He raised his gaze and gave me a vacant stare.

"May I help you with something? I know a little about software," I offered.

"Oh yeah, but who are you?"

He still had that clueless expression on his face.

"I'm here for some work with the Madame Fates," I smiled.

"A smile on the face

Sadness filled in the eyes,

What is the purpose of your visit?

Except for the well-concocted lies?" he whispered in a husky voice.

I stilled. His grey orbs had turned glassy. A storm seemed to swirl behind that defocused gaze. His jaws were hanging slack.

But before I could ask him to explain, he blinked twice, as if suddenly gaining his composure.

"Oh, you're here for work?" His lips twitched into a welcoming smile.

"Mmm, yeah, what was all that?" I asked, leaning against his desk.

"Did I say something again?" He winced.

"Yes, something about the sadness in my eyes," I supplied.

"I have one of those phases. I can read people and their purposes," he mused, scratching his head. "But I don't remember what I say to anyone." He gave a nervous smile.

I nodded silently. At least I knew now whom to avoid next.

"Did I say something odd?" he whispered in self-doubt.

"Nothing that I don't know already," I flashed him the brightest smile, hoping he wouldn't grill me further.

"Okay..."

"So, would you like me to help with this task?" I blurted.

"You can?" he inquired, still confused.

"I may try," I offered again.

"Look, I can't open this folder, the system is very slow, and the window keeps freezing." He gestured to the screen. It was blank.

I skimmed my hands over the touchpad. The password screen faded in.

"What's the password?" I asked, trying to keep my voice casual.

"Oh, let me." He pressed a few keys quickly. I sighed. He wasn't as dumb about technology as I had thought. However, my observant eyes had caught something beginning with MORT. Just the string of numbers after it was too quick to follow.

Multiple open tabs popped up on the screen. No wonder this entire system was slow. I closed down the tabs one after the other, explaining to him to do the same next time.

"Do you have useless stuff in the memory here?" I gestured to the icon of the file.

"Nothing here is pointless. This system has the records of every single mortal," he stated, still clicking away at tabs. My ears twitched in anticipation.

"Just open it," I insisted, "maybe there is something you might want to discard?"

"Okay, maybe in the death list. I could delete the ones already dead," he mumbled, clicking on that file icon. My heart sank. If he deleted Nikhit's name, I could never fulfil my purpose. Another password screen popped up and this time, I caught the same password. It was MORTE with three numbers. I had missed out on the ending 'E'. It was disappointing, but I reminded myself to calm down. No one said it would be easy.

The file spilt open like a box of treasures as name after name and zillions of numbers cropped up on the screen — tiny alphabets dancing like ants. Curiosity got the better of me. Slowly, I placed my fingers on a pen lying on the desk. The guy was still busy scrolling through the death list. I flicked the pen which clattered to the floor, catching the attention of everyone.

"I'm so sorry," I lied, attempting to gather the pen.

"I'll get it," he offered, getting up from his seat. I took the quick diversion to type in a name in the search bar.

Search results for Nikhit the screen showed. My eyes scanned the list swiftly!

Then I hastily crossed the window before he returned.

"Where did it go?" he asked, confused.

"It has an auto timer," I lied through my teeth. "You don't worry. Your system is running smoothly now."

"Thank you," he gave a genuine smile.

"Have a good day," I whispered, moving past him and exiting the office.

🖤🖤🖤

A/N How do you think Tora will get the other half of the password?

Thank you so much for reading! I'm so happy on crossing the 2K milestone! Hopefully things will go well ❤️
If you like this story, don't forget to recommend it to your friends!

Also check out my other completed books — CLOUD NINE, BUTTERFLY WINGS or CRIMSON TRAILS.