Chapter 32

"Being human doesn't make you weak. Always remember, it takes loads of efforts to survive and be happy when you're so delicate against the greater forces." 

🖤🖤🖤

"Whoa, this place feels like something out of a movie set," I breathed, looking around at the warm, cosy room.

The place was cold, owing to the entire room being underground, but the grey rocky walls and the torches on all the walls made it into archaic dream heaven. There was a huge queen-sized four-poster bed, complete with gossamer purple satin draped between the posts and a solid swathe of embroidered silk, spread like a canopy on top. It was packed with purple and dark red cushions on silken sheets.

An ornate ivory two-seater ottoman was towards one side of the room and against the other wall was a huge sparkling mirror with a delicate gold frame. I moved a step closer to admire the beauty. It was beset with dark garnets.

"This is royal," I said, looking into the mirror at his reflection.

"Holika was the sister of one of the wealthiest kings. After the fall of his kingdom, she inherited all the wealth and the land. She can afford to live in luxury, a privilege few Rakshashis have. They're the impoverished class in the underworld, " Mrithun informed.

My reflection fell on the glass and I caught my breath. The dress I was wearing was really suited to royalty, just like this room.

But even the dress couldn't mask the haunted look on my face. My cheeks looked paler, and I had lost weight. My eyes seemed dead. Gone was the spark that I used to find. My entire form just looked lifeless and withered. I gasped, unknowingly.

Mrithun was beside me in a flash.

"What's wrong," he enquired, his body tensing up to combat any danger that might befall me.

"It's me." I raised my hands and touched the image in the mirror, finger to finger, still unable to believe what I saw. "I look hideous. Look at the dark circles under my eyes and the lines of worry on my forehead."

"You've been through a lot, Tora," he said, holding my shoulders gently. "Give yourself time to heal. Everyone has bad days."

"How are you so flawless, Mrithun?" I asked to his reflection.

"Because I can't feel the things you do. I can't care as much as you as a human can." His palms moved up and down my arms, soothing the frayed edges of my nerves. "It's because I'm not as strong as you."

"You're lying." I pushed his hands off me, turning back. "You're an immortal, you're a thousand times stronger."

He gave a small smile. "Strength doesn't flow in the limbs, Tora. Strength is in the heart, in the capacity to love and feel. Be thankful that you have a heart, Tora, that's the real strength, a heart that speaks through those diaphanous eyes. You have a strong spirit that has even brought something as powerful as Death in its control."

"I..." I didn't know what to say as he came closer again.

He held out his arms, seeking permission. But he didn't need any. I flung myself into his chest, basking in the warmth of my safe space. His skin might be cold, but his touch always warmed my heart and melted it into a pool. I placed my head on his soft chest, slowly counting my heartbeat, as he didn't have any. His arms held me in place, offering a silent promise of protection, and I knew he meant it.

A knock sounded at the door and we jumped apart quickly.

Holika poked her head through the door. "Anyone up for a nice warm bath?" She was holding swathes of colourful fabric in her arms. "I'm not sure if these would be huge on you." she held them out to me. It was a multicoloured flared dress.

Mrithun guffawed as I held it in the air.

"Three Toras can fit in it."

I shot him a warning look.

"I like it." I smiled good-naturedly at her.

Mrithun made a comical gesture, pointing at his dress and then at me, moving his fingers in the air, as if gliding across a piano. I understood perfectly what it meant.

"I know you can make my dresses, but it would seem rude to not accept something offered by our host," I whispered to him on the way out.

🖤🖤🖤