Chapter 20

"When Death rejects you, remember you have some unfulfilled commitment you have given to Life. Sort that out first."

🖤🖤🖤

"No," he mumbled into my mouth, breaking the kiss within a few seconds as he staggered back.

I was shocked. The taste of his lips still hung on mine. The rejection hit me like a train, smothering me with emotions as the tears came unbidden and started rolling down my cheeks. I was even holding that stupid dagger in my hand and for a brief second, I contemplated running it through my heart, ending it once and for all. But the desire vanished as soon as it had come. My thoughts rearranged themselves into a focused determination.

He blinked in confusion and looked around the tunnel we were in. I took advantage of the momentary distraction and slipped the ornate dagger into the pocket of my dress.

"I'm sorry," he breathed to Lachesis, his eyes scanning gradually from me to her. "I lost connection with her and I thought you had..."

"Killed her," Lachesis gave a dry smile. "This one fell in love with Death. What good would killing this wretched soul do to me?"

I opened my mouth to protest, but Lachesis glared at me. There was only one meaning for that look. I had to keep my lips shut about our plan. At that point, I didn't even care. Death had rejected me, and it was all that mattered. I guess I should've got used to rejections by then, but it doesn't get any easier.

"Tora," he whispered, trying to come closer. His outstretched palm rested on the side of my cheek, just like old times. I stayed still. I would not let my body respond to his advances anymore. Enough is enough. His hand fell. I whipped around abruptly, fighting back the stinging in my eyes.

"Please show me how to resurrect Nikhit," I mumbled to Lachesis.

She didn't comment as she gestured for me to follow. A suffocating silence hung between the three of us as I and Mrithun followed Lachesis. He seemed to be lost in his own mind, docile and homely again. I so longed to know what he was thinking, but I didn't open my lips.

The passages were lines by the same glass wall and the souls whispered and swirled on the other side. The depressing tunnel opened into a brightly lit space. Lining the chamber on all sides were tall glass columns, and it looked weirdly like a laboratory.

"This is our system," Lachesis announced, pointing to a giant screen at the centre of the room. A tangle of cables and devices were connected to it, and those wires travelled all the way to the columns, forming a network.

"As much as I don't appreciate it, it makes our work easier." Lachesis's voice breezed past me. I almost smiled, knowing that I knew certain things that even the mighty Death had no clue about.

"Now this is tricky." she turned towards me. "Generally we bring souls here and export them into the set locations. But for you, we need to import the body in here, right?"

"I guess so," I mumbled, cautiously creeping up to the spotless white machinery. The screen lit up in vivid green, demanding a password straight away. My fingers trembled as I typed in MORTE666. Taking a deep breath in, I closed my eyes and pressed the enter button. The system emanated a gentle ping as the files started pouring in on the screen.

"I did it." My voice was hoarse with tears.

"Good job," Lachesis encouraged, nuzzling me aside, as she tapped buttons rapidly. Her fingers moved awfully fast for me to grasp anything.