Chapter 45

"Your actions have a way of coming back at you. Karma will find you at the right time for your deeds, always, even if it is not in the way you expect it to."

🖤🖤

"But, that could save us all," Atropos blurted.

"I believe, someone was going around pretending to be the queen and taking the law in her hands." Maya cocked her head to one side, giving a diabetically sweet smile to Atropos. Her eyes were icy cold. Venom dripped in every word Maya uttered. She was paying Atropos back for every single deed of hers.

"I didn't mean it that way. You are obviously above us all." Atropos' voice was soothing honey as if she was no one. She was just a servant obeying orders. "Please." She folded her hands, almost grovelling.

"I had forgiven you time and again. I had overlooked each and everything. A ruler makes mistakes. But you have become a dictator over the aeons, Atropos," Maya bit back.

"I am sorry..."

"I'll let the crowd do what it sees fit. From now, the government and justice are in your hands," Maya's voice overpowered Atropos' mewling.

The throng cheered jubilantly. The creator of Pataal Lok had finally given them the right to dethrone the oppressor.

"Guards," Atropos screeched, not knowing what else to do. Only the guards were her loyal pets.

They forgot all about us and charged at the mob. Weapons were drawn out and the sudden furious clanging of metals made me aware that a war had broken out.

"We need to get out of here," I screamed at Mrithun.

"But how? The patrols have sealed this place against teleportation." He seemed to snap out of his silent brooding, finally.

I realised I had been clinging onto his arm all the time, my fingers numb and frozen now. I wondered if it was me protecting him or me preserving my sanity from slipping away. Mrithun had not spoken a word throughout this entire drama. It was as if he had lost all hope of existence. It pained me to see him in that condition, but we had bigger problems to deal with.

Mani swiftly joined us. "We have to do something. We can't get caught up in this lynching mob."

Screams rent the air. Feral cries and the steady hum of metals clashing. The exquisite purple tiles were now stained in red. The office was steadily becoming a battlefield. Blood flowed freely. I was thankful for the darkness. I didn't want to witness the scene unfolding. With the mob entering the room, we had been pushed to a corner.

"Help me," a voice begged from somewhere.

"Lachesis," Mrithun broke free from my grip, running forwards and jumping into the fray. He dragged her out, bruised but still in one piece.

"Please get us out of here. This is your office," I pleaded to Maya.

"I can't. Even I am stuck..."

"There she is, grab her." Someone from the crowd had spotted Lachesis in our midst. The angry flock would be upon us in an instant. I felt the fear, like a cold bucket of water drowning me. I saw my lie of a life flash before me, my childhood, Nikhit, the dating days, the torture, the bridge, the moments with Mrithun, our kiss, Mani and the hugs. Every possible emotion was rushing into my heart.

I didn't care what happened to me, but I wished I had some superpowers to save my friends. But I had none.

Being human is your superpower