𝐕𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐬

~+~

iv

𝐀𝐦𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐀𝐧𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 approaching the camp with a load of fish. "Oh, baby. Will you look at that? Hey, check it out. Ladies... Because of you my children will eat tonight. Thank you." Morales chirps. "Thank Dale. It's his canoe and gear." Andrea cheers.

"Mum, look. Look at all the fish." Carl beams as Morales shoves the fish in Lori's face, she backs away smiling and grimacing. "Where did you two learn to do that?" I ask the blonde sisters. "Our dad." Amy answers. "Can you teach me how to do that?" Carl asks.

"Sure. I'll teach you all about nail knots and stuff. If that's okay." Amy says. "You won't catch me arguing." Lori smiles. I giggle silently. "It's good seeing him smile again." I say sharpening Diamond. "Yeah." Lori murmurs.

"I don't want to alarm anyone, but we may have a bit of a problem." Dale stammers. He points up to a higher hill and Jim was digging, what is that all about?  We start walking up the hill to question his actions.

"Hey, Jim." Shane says. Not a word was said by Jim, he kept digging. "Jim, why don't you hold up, all right? Just give me a second here, please?" "What do you want?" he asks, panting from exhaustion. "We're all just a little concerned, that's all." I say. "Dale says you've been out here for hours." Morales speaks up.

"So?" Jim frowns. "So, why are you digging? Are you heading to China, Jim?" Shane chuckles. "What does it matter? I'm not hurting anyone." he continues to dig. "Yeah, except maybe yourself. It's a hundred degrees today. You can't keep this up." Dale says.

"Sure I can. Watch me." he chirps. "Jim, they're not gonna say it so I will. You're scaring people. You're scaring my son, Carol's daughter and Julia's daughter." Lori says. Not as much as Carl or Sophia, but he was spooking me out. 

"They got nothing to be scared of. I mean, what the hell, people? I'm out here by myself. Why don't you all just go and leave me the hell alone?" he breathes. "We think that you need to take a break, okay?" Zak asks. "Why don't you go and get yourself in the shade? Some food maybe."

"'ll tell you what... maybe in a little bit I'll come out here and help you myself." Shane volunteers. "Jim, just tell me what it's about. Why don't you just go ahead and give me that shovel?" "Or what?" Jim questions. "There is no or what." Shane says. "I'm asking you. I'm coming to you and I'm asking you, please. I don't want to have to take it from you."