𝐁𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐞

~+~

xv

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐮𝐬 were walking back to the house, trying to get over the events that had just happened to us. I was walking a few miles in front of the son and father so I don't intrude. "You bit, too?" Carl asks Rick. "No." was his easy answer. I didn't want to listen, but they were right behind me... I'm nosy like my mother. "Shane was." Carl says. "That wasn't Shane. You know that." Rick responds.

"Used to be." Carl replies. "What happened? You guys attacked? I mean, we- we heard a gunshot, but we didn't see any walkers nearby. How did Shane die?" I hear the two stop and so do I, I turn to look at them. My eyes go straight to the herd forming all around us. "Oh. My. Irene!" I mumble. They look around, hearing the growls coming from the loud walkers.

"Oh my, God." Rick whispers. He grabs us softly by the shoulder. "Go go go go go go go!" We run behind a tree and crouch down. "We- we gotta get to the house, tell the others." Carl plans. "We'll never get through that." Rick denies. "Can't go around. Carl, Jade, stay close! Go!" I was one side of Rick and Carl was on the other side.

I stayed as close as I could as we ran inside the barn. He closes the door and Carl and I try our best to keep it shut while Rick gets a stick to shove through the handles. It was stable for now. "Those boards aren't gonna hold." I panic. Rick picks up a can of gasoline, Carl and I do the same and begin spreading it around the floor.

"All right. Both of you! Up there! Hurry!" he demands. "Rick, what about you?!" I ask worried for his safety. "I'll be right there." he assures. "Drop the lighter when I say." He give a flick light to Carl. "We'll stop some of them from reaching the house and distract the others, so at least we'll have a chance." I guessed Carl and I looked unsure. "Hey, hey, hey! Both of you, look at me! You kids can do this."

I nod along. "Carl... I love you. Jade, I love you like my own daughter." The smile on my face was on my face for a second until Rick spoke again. "All right, go! Go!" Carl goes up the ladder and I follow soon after, we reach the top and Rick had the doors open, shouting for the walkers to come for him. He climbs the ladder. "Carl, now!" He lights the lighter and drops it into the pit of walkers, they burst into flames.

At least that was some of them dead. Above the flames, we began hearing gunshots outside. We move out onto the rafters outside and gun down the most walkers we could, the RV was approaching. "Hey!" Rick yells the loudest he could. "Get in here! Put it right there! Come on!" He was pointing at the ground and Jimmy stopped the RV.