𝐓𝐒-𝟏𝟗 {𝟐}

~+~

vii

𝐌𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐦𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧 to the generators to see what Vi was talking about, while the rest of us were waiting, I was in the Rec room already reading a new book. "Hey, Dollface." Daryl greets sitting next to me. "Hi, Fossils." I grin. "What ya' reading?" he asks. "A book." I deadpan. "Jade." he warns. I giggle. "I don't really know, I kind of just picked it up." "You only live once and that." he says.

"Am I the only one that's hot?" I ask. "Nah, I'm starting to sweat too." he frowns. "Let's go see what's going on." I leave the book on the table and we walk out into the hall where everyone was, peeking there heads out the doors. "What's going on?"

"Energy use is being prioritised." Jenner informs, walking past mine and Ma's room. "Air isn't a priority? And lights?" Dale questions. "It's not up to me." Jenner shake his head. "Zone 5 is shutting itself down." "Hey! Hey, what the hell does that mean?" Daryl probes. Jenner ignores him and keeps walking across the bridge.

"Hey! He's talking to you!" I defend Daryl. "What do you mean it's shutting itself down? How can a building do anything?" Daryl continues. "You'd be surprised." he answers. "Rick?" Lori yells down to the floor below us. We start going down the stairs, still following Jenner as Rick, Glenn, T-Dog and Shane rejoins us.

"Jenner, what's happening?" Rick asks. "The system is dropping all the nonessential uses of power." he answers. "It's designed to keep the computers running to the last possible second. That started as we approached the half-hour mark. Right on schedule."

Jenner lends out a bottle of whiskey to Daryl, who angrily takes it back, and looks at Andrea. "It was the French." "What?" Andrea questions. "They were the last ones to hold out as far as I know." he explains. "While our people were bolting out the doors and committing suicide in the hallways, they stayed in the labs till the end. They thought they were close to a solution."

"What happened?" Jacqui asks. "I'm guessing it's what happened here." Roy guesses. Jenner nods. "No power grid. Ran out of juice. The world runs on fossil fuel. I mean, how stupid is that?" Shane starts approaching, shouting the odds, but Rick holds him back. "Lori, grab our things. Everybody, get your stuff. We're getting out of here, now!"

We start rushing off when a red light starts beeping with an alarm. "What's that?" Shane asks. "30 minutes to decontamination." Vi says. "Doc, what's going on here?!" Daryl yells. "Everybody, y'all heard Rick." Shane shouts. "Get your stuff and let's go! Go now! Go!" Rick adds. We try making a run for it, but the doors lock.