CHAPTER 16: What happened?

LISA

After Leigh had introduced her to Chris, she blanked out everything and everyone, she even forgot to go forth with her plan.

“Sorry to cut your word, but have you seen my sister. She wanted me to introduce her to Ryan Guzman, she’s basically in love with him. You do not tell her I told you this, but yep.”

“She beat you to it, they’ve been sitting by the bar for as long we sitting here”

“I’m so proud of her she is so beautiful and with everything happening to her she still pulls through”

“Something happened a few weeks ago, just before Lacy broke her foot. She wouldn’t tell me what happened, but it knocked her hard. I’m assuming you talking about that event when you say this”

“It’s not easy getting over your about 5 year boyfriend cheating on you, and then him showing up in America with that same girl just to see how you doing. Especially when the girl is hooker material”

“The jerk, who would ever cheat on Leigh she’s so amazing and helpful. She’s the kind of girl every father wants his son to marry”

“Well not everyone sees her potential, and I’m glad they over he was using her anyway”

“He is the biggest idiot I’ve ever known. He should be punched in the face with a brick by Hulk”

“That’s something she would say” Lisa smiling.

LEIGH

Ryan walked in front of Leigh as they walked to the balcony. The change of temperature caused a chill to run down her back. She was getting tipsy, but she still managed to get around without making regrettable decisions. She spotted Alex and Jessica on the balcony and went to stand by them.

“I’m so sorry I left both you, I got a bit distracted” 

“Leigh, don’t be sorry. We met so much dancers that we have up on the walls at twinkle toes and boy can they dance” Jessica said, more drunk than anything else.

“Hmmm I want you to meet Ryan, so Alex and Jessica this is Ryan Guzman”

“Nice to meet you” Ryan said shaking their hands.

“Me and Jess is going to leave Leigh see later” Alex said knowing Jessica wasn’t going to last much longer.

“Be safe” Leigh said waving them off.

Leigh got herself some water, while Ryan excused himself to the bathroom. The balcony over looked the city and a main road. While waiting for Ryan to return a two cars collided on that main road and Leigh watched the entire thing. As soon as those two cars collided she fall to the ground and all she could she see was Liam’s lifeless body lying on her lap with blood running out his mouth.

“Leigh what’s the matter, why are you crying?” Ryan asked with a worried look on his face

“I’m reason my brother is dead” was all she said in a faint whisper. He lifted her up and helped her through the ballroom. Most of the people gathered on the balcony to see what the loud noise was. When they reached the exit of the hotel, Leigh broke into a sobbing cry while trying to phone Lisa. Ryan could see her struggling, and he gently pulled her into his arms to hug her. The tighter he hugged her the harder she cried. He had no idea who Liam was but he felt really sorry for her, just based on the way she cried. Not long after they got outside Lisa walked out looking for her.

“Oh Leigh, I’m sorry you had to witness that”

“I want to go home, please Lisa take me home. Take me back to Cape Town please” Leigh pleaded.

“Leigh, calm down just for one minute. You need to relax. I know what you saw brought back so much unwanted memories, but you need to calm down” Lisa reasoned with Leigh, while they walked back into the hotel.

Ryan was so confused and so what Chris, both had just met these girls. Similar feelings occurred to most of them, and it wasn’t a sexual attraction. It was an attraction of interest and longing, a feeling of wanting to be around someone always and forever. Both didn’t want to admit it to themselves yet alone to other people, but they might have hit the jackpot when it came to meeting them. They could have even settled their feelings by saying they had met the girl of their dreams even though that is only in fairy tale movies.

An hour later everything had settled down, Leigh wasn’t as shaken up as before and had begun to talk again.

“I want to apologize for what happened earlier, and I will even explain. I feel really bad that I just met you and yet you had to comfort me because I couldn’t handle a simple car accident”   Leigh said, but Ryan cut her off

“You don’t have to apologize about anything, and you don’t have to explain to me your reason for not being able to handle a simple car accident”

“I actually want to tell you, I think we should take a walk, if that’s safe to do here”

“That shouldn’t be a problem then”

“Lisa we going for a walk. I guess I’ll see you tomorrow”

“Are you sure you okay?”

“Yes I am thank you”

Ryan and Leigh left thereafter and walked in silence, they walked to a park with the most beautiful flowers. She loved the smell of the freshness in the air, and the feeling of privacy even though there were people in the park at 12:30am. They sat on a nearby bench and Leigh wished she had not put on a dress this tight.

“So 5 years ago my younger brother Liam and I went to the mall. His not much younger than me, he needed clothes for his end of year party at school. My mother wasn’t prepared to pay for the shoes he wanted so I told her I’ll pay for his shoes then. I remember how excited he was to go to the party, he passed his last year of high school and his best friend Chad was throwing a huge party. Chad hates my guts to be honest, but all I can say is sorry. On our way back home a truck jumped a red light and hit the passenger side. I remember what song was playing on the radio, what we were talking about. I even remember what his last sentence was. He told me his biggest secret and now I tell you: Liam was gay and he didn’t want anyone to know, he was a great dancer and he felt that because of his sexuality he won’t be as good as me and Lisa. He died at the scene, he was declared dead on impact. My father never spoke to me till the night before I left to come here.”

While Leigh told Ryan about Liam all he did was listen, he never broke her word or anything. He stared at her as if she told him a horror story around a camp fire, he held her hands and rubbed her knuckles with his thumb throughout the entire story. When she was done speaking they sat in silence for a while just embracing the calmness of the night. They left and walked to the road to catch a cab.

“Thank you for tonight, you a great listener and I hope I get to see you again before I leave” Leigh said opening the door of the cab.

“Definitely, not tomorrow though I would like to sleep the entire day”

“Sure just give me a call”

“But I don’t have your number and you don’t have mine?” Ryan said in a questioning tone.

“Check your inside pocket Mr Guzman, a girl know how to sneak her number into a pocket” Leigh winked and closed the door of the cab.