{1} Goodbye

George, a British 18 year old student, was a normal guy. Brown hair, neat and tidy; dark brown eyes, average hight. He had a basic life, living with his mum and sister, brought up in a standard neighbourhood with good friends that he hung out with sometimes. All in all, George was the sort of person who would follow the rules just because it was easy. In his opinion, the more you blended in, the less you got bullied. And, well, yeah. He was right. 

He had a few close friends that he would hang with after school sometimes in the park, but apart from them, most people at school didn't know him. But they didn't really want to...and thats how George liked it.

If you were to describe George in one word, it would be a sheep. Follow the crowd, do what everyone does, don't draw attention to yourself. Live life simple.

However, all that changed when dad left.

"George! Hurry up dear, we're going to be late for the plane!"

"Coming mum!"

George tugged his suitcase out of his room, not before taking one last look at the plain, white walls of his childhood bedroom. Memories danced in the air, tickling the brunettes mind like a dusty feather. 

He closed the door on the feeling, pulling his heavy luggage down the stairs.

thump...thump...thump...

"Oh come on George, hurry!" a middle aged woman patted the boy on the back, clearly in a rush. George looked at the time and saw they had four hours until their flight left, and it only took half an hour to get to the airport. They weren't going to be late, what was all the fuss about?

"Mum, we have four hours...chill." 

The greying woman stood up straighter "Young man, I don't like your tone. You don't hear Harriet speaking like that to me, do you?" 

George pushed the urge to roll his eyes away, instead he sighed "Sorry mum..." and carried on walking to the small grey car.

"Good boy, now don't stall any longer!"

He dropped his suitcase in the back of the car, huffing as the heavy case squeezed itself in between the other bags. He then went around and opened the passenger seat door, only to find someone already occupying the seat.

"Hey! Mum said I can have this seat! Go in the back," Harriet, Georges little sister, was on her phone looking up at him.

"Ugh, fine."

He shut the door and slid into the back, getting comfy. He put his headphones in immediately, to hopefully block out his mums frantic mumbling. Not for long though...

About 30 seconds into a song he was listening to, he fast tapping was felt on his knee. He pulled one ear plug out with an internal eye roll.

"George, stop looking so moody. With a face like that, you're going to become an emo or whatever they are called, and you don't want to look like that. You'll never get a girlfriend with a face like that." his mum was talking to him from the drivers seat.

George didn't answer, just gave a small nod and plugged his ear phone back in, but nope.

"George, George! I need you to give me the directions to the airport, remember?"

Sigh

"But why can't Harriet do it? She's 14 and perfectly capable of-" his mum was giving him a stare down as if he was saying he was swearing at her.

"Fine..." he pulled both his ear phones out reluctantly and pulled up Google Maps.

The car started and he gave the first directions. "Right...left, first turn on the round-about...yep that one...ok now carry on for another 20 minuets, yeah and then go right and we're there."

After what felt like eternity, they managed to find a parking spot and navigate their way into the airport. It wasn't very busy, only a few very formal looking people sitting awaiting their flight.

Their own plane wouldn't set off until another three hours, much to the disappointment of George. 

|{}3 hours later{}|

Flight 404 setting off in 10 minutes

"Finally..." George mumbled under breath as him and his family made their way to board their plane.

They found their seats and sat down, George thankfully getting the window next to some stranger whilst his mum and sister sat together in front of him.

Now he could plug his headphones in, and block out the constant noise, he could finally catch his breath. He relaxed with the calming notes of his chill playlist, gazing out the window at the fluffy clouds below him. He realised how small he was, how insignificant everyone was, especially him.

America. That was way bigger than England...was it going to be better though? He highly doubted it. He said his last silent goodbyes to his friends and memories, sadness slowly creeping up his throat sorely. It was a bitter taste, the taste of sorrow. He hadn't realised how gloomy he had been about moving until now. 

As soon as his dad passed away, his mother had insisted that they "start afresh" in America. Why America, he did not know. All he knew was that he was leaving everything behind, not that he had much anyway. 

Closing his eyes, he remembered the few memories in his life. His 8th birthday were he got his first scooter...the time when he finally saved enough for a pc...that one time where he forgot his jacket, and it started heavily raining. He didn't know why he liked that memory so much, he had been on his own, drenched, cold, shivering. But he felt...alive. Breaking the rules of life, exciting.

The thoughts drifted through his brain like a slow flowing river, gliding down stream until they reached the water fall and fell down...each one safely boxed in the storage of his memories. Soon, sleep overtook him, and he drifted off into a quiet slumber.

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed the first chapter, sorry it was a little boring...promise that it will get better, love you guys! :D