Chapter 6: Night in Republic City

Korra anxiously looked at herself in front of a mirror while Opal and Asami diligently looked over her.

"Hmm, what do you think? Up or down?" Opal asked, moving a hand through Korra's hair.

"Down, definitely down." Asami said, removing Korra's ponytail and allowing her long hair to flow free.

"You should wear it down more often." Asami added, taking a comb and straightening out the messy bits.

Korra barely heard them, her heart racing faster as the clock ticked closer to six. Tonight was the night she'd have her date with Diago and Korra felt more anxious than any battle or pro-bending match.

"Korra, calm down. You're starting to sweat again." Opal giggled while taking a wet rag and cleaning up her forehead.

"I'm not nervous. I'm calm." She said in a less than convincing tone, still shaking.

Her two friends giggled while shaking their heads.

"I remember my first date with Mako. He insisted on paying for everything and ended up spending an entire paycheck at the high-end restaurant we went to. I felt so bad that I convinced my dad to give him a bonus for his good work."

Opal started to blush with an almost puppy dog look while clasping her hands together.

"I can't wait to see what Bolin has planned next week for us!" Opal almost shouted. Korra's nervousness almost vanished into amusement while she and Asami barely contained their laughter. The previous day, Bolin asked Opal out on a date as they finished up training. However, the earth bender looked more nervous than Korra as he did so, and Opal got so excited that she accidentally air bent him into the water.

"Did Diago give you any hint about what you'll be doing tonight?" Asami asked while finishing Korra's hair.

"I can't remember." Korra admitted, slightly embarrassed.

"Well, we all did get blood bent after watching Tarrlok make Liao a fire bender, so that might have occupied your mind." Opal laughed.

"Honestly, that sounds less frightening right now."

"Well, if you'd rather not go on the date, you could always-" Asami started.

"No!" Korra shouted almost frantically, earning more chuckles from her friends. The Avatar took a deep breath and stared out her window with a longing expression.

"It's just. I've never done this before. I've never really thought of anyone romantically, let alone be in a relationship."

Moments later, she felt another warm hand on her shoulder. Pema revealed herself between Opal and Asami, having also helped Korra prepare.

"There's nothing to it, Korra. Just relax and most important of all, be yourself. Never pretend to be something else to impress someone."

Korra blushed slightly.

"He didn't ask me out until we got to know each other." She said. Asami nodded while patting her back.

"Yes, he wants to be with Korra, not just the Avatar. Pema's right. Remember that Diago approached you, not the other way around. Unless you've been changing yourself around him, it's the real Korra he wants."

Korra's smile returned full of passion.

"You're right." She said more confidently.

"Thanks, you guys."

A few minutes later, Korra stood in the courtyard with the others. Her hair still down, though more nearly combed. Instead of her typical attire, Korra now wore a dark-blue sleeveless top with blue sleeve-like gloves over both arms, leaving her shoulders exposed. Rather than trousers, she also wore a brownish-red dress-bottom around her legs with a light-blue sash.