Chapter 15: The Waterbender

Korra and Daigo stared deeply at the colossal statue of Avatar Aang, which almost glowed in the full moon.

"It's funny. It was in Aang's statue that we first faced Tarrlock." Korra almost chuckled.

"Hmp, you're right. It's all come full circle." Daigo took a deep breath as their boat closed the distance. Naga whined and nudged her head against them both. The husband and wife understood her fear.

"It's going to be ok, Naga, I promise." Korra stroked her companion's head and spoke in a soothing voice. Despite what she said, Naga felt Korra trembling slightly. The young Avatar felt her husband's warm hand on her shoulder and looked back at him.

"Are you ok?"

Korra wanted to answer instantly with utter confidence, but the words caught in the back of her throat.

".........I hope so." Diago smiled and hugged Korra tightly.

"You're the Avatar."

"I'm only eighteen years old." Diago laughed.

"Korra, Avatar Aang was thirteen when he defeated Firelord Ozai." Before Korra could retort, she felt his warm lips press against hers. The young Avatar didn't resist and melted away into her husband's arms for what felt like an eternity, but still too short.

Naga barked, and the two reluctantly looked over at the base of Aang's statue. They'd arrived. Both took a deep breath and, holding hands, they entered the small island with Naga close behind.

Once off the dock, Korra and Diago let go of each other to remain vigilant of Red Lotus combatants possibly laying in wait. However, so far, everything seemed still and ominously quiet.

However, it didn't last long, for Naga sniffed something and growled towards the statue. Korra didn't wait and furiously unleashed a series of masterful blue fire bending followed by kicked-up boulders. Three Red Lotus combatants came up readying themselves to attack but yelped in pain when Korra's bending hit them first and sent all three sprawling to the ground.

Moments later, a pair of fire and water benders attacked from the other direction, only to have their efforts wasted. Enhanced by the full moon, Diago bent a protective spout of water around him, his wife, and their polar bear dog before sending it back at the four Red Lotus benders, sweeping them away into the harbor.

Korra swiftly followed this up by bending two serpent-esk veils of water from the bay into a few earth benders, collecting their stones and knocking them out with them before using a burst of air bending to knock down two fire benders who rushed onto the edge of the statue's base.

"Well, we know someone's here." Diago muttered.

"Come on!" Korra grabbed his hand and raced inside with Naga close behind.

However, immediately after entering the statue interior, all three lurched to the side, narrowly avoiding a series of water-blades that sliced clean through the doors.

"Well, I was wondering when someone to show up." Ming Hau grinned in her usual sadistic manner, slowly emerging from the darkness with six watery arms on each side of her empty arm-sockets.

"Great." Korra growled in annoyance.

Ming Hau gazed up at the window as moonlight shined down upon them, basking in the power it granted her.

"You feel that? Of course, you do. You're both water benders, but neither of you is anything like Tarrlock or me. You'll never truly water bend."

"Go." Diago said, earning a horrified look from Korra.