Chapter 32

The team rode in stiff silence, all three of them focusing for the upcoming chaos in their own way. Rhia leaned her head back and closed her eyes, letting the sway of the truck lull her into a shallow trance. She tried to shut off her racing mind. She couldn't let Constantine affect her work. She would have to deal with him later.

The ambulance slowed, and then stopped. Rhia followed Andrew out of the back, slinging her bag over her shoulder, and helping Ian with the stretcher. The massive parking lot was alight with police, fire, and medical services. A line of uniformed officers held back the crowd of onlookers and the media from trying to catch a glimpse of a weeping parent or someone of rank to harass with questions.

Inside was even louder. The mall's patrons were crowded into several lines in the main foyer to have their information gathered and briefly interviewed before getting sent off. Inside a café were a mix of crying adults with several uniformed officers and people in suits. One stuck out like a sore thumb as he wore tactical gear and even in passing Rhia could see how distinctly yellow his eyes were. "Damn," Ian whistled, staring at the same guy. "The Counsel sent shifters to help?"

"It's all politics." Andrew shrugged. They pulled up to a line of other E.M.S. waiting to be dispatched through the mall. "It looks good for them, especially if they find the kids."

"Hey, isn't that...?"

Rhia turned to see none other than Maddox coming in their direction. "Hey, look at you back on the job!" she reached out and hugged him gently, wary of his arm in the sling. "I thought you were going to be stuck on desk duty for a while."

"Yeah, well, desperate times." he shrugged his good shoulder. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

She followed him a few meters away where it was only slightly quieter. "What's up?" She narrowed her eyes in worry. "Are you sure you should be here?"

"I'm fine," he waved her off. "Davis wants me to liaise between the parents and the teams. I might as well be on desk duty and it gets one more abled-bodied man walking the halls."

"Yeah, but-"

"It was either me or Landon."

"Jesus."

"Yeah. That's what I wanted to talk to you about. I think he drank himself into a mental breakdown after seeing you with Nolan last week. He's been erratic and angrier than normal. He showed up at the house looking for you a couple times. I don't want you to go anywhere alone."

"He wouldn't do anything in public."

"I don't know." The worry in his voice was evident. "He's not right in the head. I hear the higher ups are already working on forcing his retirement."

"Then what the hell is he doing here?"

"Optics. He's the nuttiest of the right-wing anti-ancient nut jobs, and he would lose all support outside the department if he weren't in front of the cameras. If he can spin himself in a heroic way, it will be harder for the brass to oust him."

"I am so sick of political bullshit." She sighed heavily. "I'm just going to do my job. Landon isn't my boss. What's he going to do, get me fired? I've already handed in my resignation. I'm gone after Christmas."

A single laugh escaped his lips, and he relaxed somewhat. "So, you're really going?"

"Yep." She couldn't help the smile spreading across her own face. "In a few weeks it'll be nothing but fine wine and moonlit dinners on top of the Eifel tower."

"I don't think you can..."

"Let me dream, it's the one thing I want."

"Hey, you'll be in France. You can finally get day drunk without being judged. Just like you always wanted!"