Chapter 46

"This was a bad idea." Atticus groaned for the hundredth time.

"This was your idea!" Nolan snapped, getting out of the car and handing his keys to the valet before taking his and Atticus's suit jackets from the back seat.

They stood at entrance to the front gardens to the event hall. One glance and they could tell they weren't the only ancients there. They were also bordering on the edge of underdressed. Rhia had told them black-tie, but they clearly should have talked to Madeline first. This was a lot closer to white tie, and both men weren't wearing vests. All the other men were wearing vests and the women were wearing full-length gowns.

At the center of the gardens was an enormous fountain, spouting water in a dance around marble statues of nearly naked women. A white peacock strut between the flower beds like it owned the place. Nolan wouldn't have been surprised to see several more around the property. Waiters carried trays of champaign and hors d'oeuvres to offer to guests. "So much luxury," Atticus muttered. "Just for an art show?"

"You two still think this has anything to do with art?"

They both turned to see Maddox walking towards them. His jacket was tucked under his arm, the sleeves to his shirt rolled up to his elbows, and a flask in his free hand. He looked like shit. His tie was crooked, the top couple buttons of his shirt undone. There was an angry purple bruise under his left eye that was most certainly fresh, and an uneven swagger to his walk.

"Gods damnit, Maddox." Nolan groaned. "Are you drunk?"

"Not yet." He bit back. "And why shouldn't I be drinking? My sister's a dragonkin, my dad is wanted by the counsel, my partner is..." He interrupted his tangent by taking a drink. He glared at Atticus. "What the hell are you doing here anyway?"

"I'm handling security inside the event."

Maddox snorted. "Security. Because you're real good at that."

He stepped past them and headed towards the open doors. "What the hell was that about?" Nolan asked as they followed him.

"He's angry I wouldn't let him take Nova's place." Atticus sighed heavily.

"He what? Why?"

"He thinks he can get in on his father's operation. Which is pointless since no one can find him."

"It's not unrealistic to think that."

"That's not the point." Atticus rolled his eyes. "He's hurting. He wants something to distract himself or focus his anger on and my operation is not the place for it. Besides, he's a beat cop. Good intentions or otherwise, there's nothing I can do with him until he's higher up in the ranks."

Nolan could only nod. He knew the pain Maddox felt. He understood the anger, the desire to do something... anything.

The two men donned their jackets and walked up the steps and into the enormous hall. Black curtains covered the walls, giving the mounted paintings a sharp contrast. Sculptures made from various mediums were scattered around the floor and illuminated from below. Women were dressed in an array of colours and sparkling gems. The men beside them looked positively plain. "This was a bad idea." Atticus said again.

"For gods' sake, why? This is an incredible interspecies arrangement. The dragonkin are even working with us. We are as prepared as we can be. Why was this a bad idea?!"

"Not the plan." Atticus gave Nolan a guilty look. "I... kind of invited someone."

"Like... a date?"

"Yeah."

Nolan gave him his best disappointed-father raised eyebrow. "You invited a date to a covert operation where you are attempting to draw in and arrest a man who is known to be outwardly cruel to any ancient race?"