Chapter 42 (R)

Hey guys. This is a general heads up/content warning.

This chapter contains an explicit sex scene. If you are reading this , you are consenting that you are at the age of 17 and above as per the guidelines.

Here is a quick link to the content guidelines if anyone needs a reminder: https://support.wattpad.com/hc/en-us/articles/200774334-Content-Guidelines

Thank you

~

Keoni could hear Nolan outside his door long before he knocked. He was nervous. There was probably a lot on his mind. Had he the time, he would have let Nolan stand out there all day to gather his thoughts. But he did not have the time and, really, neither did Nolan.

"Come in." he called out.

Nolan hesitated before opening the door. He took one look at the stacks of files weighing down the desk and stammered; "Sorry. I didn't realize you were busy. I'll come back later."

"I am always busy, Nolan." He dropped a file on another mountain and shifted it onto a side table to make room. "There is always work to be done. Contracts to be negotiated, licenses to be renewed, grants to apply for... you know how it is."

"I thought Quin took care of most of this stuff."

"To say the dragons have been preoccupied lately would be a grievous understatement." Now able to see the surface of the desk, he indicated for Nolan to sit down. "I will admit. I wasn't expecting to see you quite so soon. It hasn't even been twelve hours since she woke up."

Nolan didn't meet his eye, instead looking out the large windows to the city. "Aren't there a dozen open offices on the compound? What are you doing working in the downtown core?"

He was avoiding the topic of Rhiannon. Keoni laced his fingers together, reminding himself to be patient. Nolan had long since earned his respect, and the situation with the girl was... complicated.

"I like the separation of home and work." he explained, humoring Nolan's question. "When I am home, I can give my full attention to Ares. When I am at work, I can devote everything to the needs of the kin."

Nolan nodded slowly and they fell into a dull quiet. Keoni tapped his knuckles. Patience, Keo, he could almost hear Ares' voice in his head. As if Ares of all dragons had any ground to stand on. Keoni only seemed inpatient because he had to think on a human timeline, but he did think through his every action. Unlike any of the dragons. None of them had bothered to say where they were even going before taking off. They didn't even wait to see if any of this would have an effect on Rhiannon or the rest of the kin. They just... left.

Nolan sensed his impatience and cleared his throat. "I came straight from the Counsel." he continued avoiding the dragon in the room. "They know about the yfeerie, though not that we call them yfeerie. They can't decide whether to focus on the demonic attack or the dragons. I've managed to delay any discussions for six weeks. At some point we'll have to talk about what I can and cannot tell them."

"Nolan," Keoni kept his voice gentle.

"Atticus does know. He's a good guy, he's not going to say anything... Not that anyone would believe him. He can be useful too, so-"

"Nolan."

Nolan fell quiet and finally met his eyes. Keoni had always marveled at the colour of his eyes. Such an intense blue that they could belong to nothing other than someone of dragonkin descent. Even as a vampire, Nolan's eyes had never dulled. Evidence that there was still some dragon magic in his system, however muted by the parasitic nature of his new species. His children, all his children, shared his eyes, making them recognizable by dragonkin across the world. One look and the kin could identify the children of this yfeerie.