Prelude I

Two Days before the Incident

Pitter patter, pitter, patter... Heavy rain slammed against Axels window. It was an early November morning. The smell of full clouds, and rain filled his nostrils. He breathed in, held it for a little, before releasing the air.

He was utterly bored. With a little muster of willpower, he made himself get up, throwing on a random sweatshirt that lay on the floor.

Loud noise immediately filled his ear as he stepped outside of his quiet and dark room. Down the hall, he could see his little sister and older brother playing a game of Uno on the kitchen counter.

Emmet was the first to notice him, waving him over with a smile. "You're finally awake! Wanna join us?"

Axel squinted his eyes at the deck of cards and smiled. "And destroy both of you at this game? I don't mind that at all." Emmet cocked a brow, a smirk playing at the ends of his lips.

Axel made his way to a spare seat next to his little sister. She was so focused on her group of cards she hadn't noticed him walk in.

With one finger to his lips, he motioned for Emmet to keep quiet as he snuck behind Lily, covering her eyes with an evil grin on his face.

"Guess who?" he whispered into her ear. Lily stiffened for the shortest second before a huge smile enveloped her face. She turned around in her seat, trying her best to give Axel a hug.

"Are you going to join us?" she asked with her huge brown eyes. Axel always found it hard to say no to that. Besides, he had nothing better to do.

He stood up and acted as if he were in thought before nodding. "Don't worry, I'll help you win," he winked.

"Good! Because Emmet is playing unfairly," Lily pouted. "Wha- I would never play unfairly with you Lily," he exclaimed.

Axel held in a chuckle as Emmet not so secretly rolled his eyes. "Besides, It's not unfair if you don't know how to play-"

"-Well," Axel trailed off. "I think I am on Lily's side for this one," he added.

"Yes!" Lily exclaimed under her breath before happily scrolling through her deck of cards but she wasn't so secretive about it.

Axel exchanged an all knowing look with Emmet, but they simply laughed it off. Half way through the game and Axel heard Lily's stomach growl. She blushed when he gave her an all knowing look.

"I think someone here is hungry," he said setting his cards down. Emmet leaned back in his chair, stretching , before standing up. Without any warning, he picked up Lily and threw her over his shoulder.

Her laughs filled the room and Axel couldn't help but smile at her joy.

"So what do you want for breakfast Princess?" Emmet asked hoisting her up onto the kitchen island. Her eyebrows scrunched together as she dove into deep thought.

"Hmmm," she hummed in thought. "No, no, no. The correct question is what do I want for breakfast?" Axel interrupted.

"No, Axel what do I look like? Your maid? Go and get a bowl of cereal or something," Emmet said. Axel stared at Emmet in defiance, crossing his arms. "But you're making her breakfast," he said pointing to Lily who simply watched the argument unfold.

"Because," Emmet emphasized but was cut off by Lily. "Its okay! I can get cereal instead, don't argue," she mumbled looking between the two.