Prelude II

One Day Before the Incident.

Axel wanted to keep running forever. The wind in his hair made him feel powerful. This feeling was his nicotine. There was nothing quite like it. Nothing like the sound of your feet hitting the pavement, or the feeling of cool sweat, letting you know you've put in a days work.

"Axel, can we please take a break?" a small voice behind him pleaded. Axel slowed down, eventually coming to a complete stop, before turning around and meeting an exhausted Lily.

It was the morning after yesterdays incident, and Axel could not get his mind off of it. Everything kept replaying back in his head, no matter how many times he tried to forget. He was worried that wouldn't be the last time they would have a scary encounter with that man, but he hoped he was terribly wrong.

He tried to get an answer out of his parents again later that day, but they only shrugged him off. Essentially telling him that everything he witnessed was nothing. It angered him, and it made his blood boil that his parents wouldn't tell him anything.

So he went on a run.

It always helped him, but this time, Lily wanted to tag along. She was so small, and her legs were so little she had a hard time keeping up with Axels usual fast pace.

Lily's cough brought Axel out of his thoughts and he quickly handed her a water bottle. She graciously drank some of it before resting her hands on top of her head.

"I change my mind, " she exclaimed. "I cannot run as fast nor as long as you do," she pouted. Axel held in a smile running a hand through his hair.

"Lily, " he started, entering a slow walk, Lily right beside him. "I told you this wasn't going to be easy," he laughed. "I know, but I thought since you do it all of the time, maybe I can do it too," she mumbled.

Axel held back a smile, then bent down so that he was eye level with Lily. "Come on, just one more block?" he asked. Her face was flushed red and she was still trying to catch her breath. Axel thought maybe they should just turn around and head back home.

That is until Lily nodded her head reluctantly in response to his question. He straightened up ruffling her hair, with a proud smile on his face. 

"But can we please get icecream after this?" she pleaded. She looked up through those long eyelashes of hers, giving Axel the best puppy dog eyes that she could muster. 

"If they're open...sure," he said hesitantly. "But you have to keep it a secret," he added quickly. He was sure his mother wouldn't be too pleased with letting Lily have sweets this early, but she deserved it and maybe he wanted some himself.

~

Axel and Lily were on their walk back from the icecream shop. Looking down at Lily, Axel noted the content smile on her face as she quietly counted every time they passed a crack on the sidewalk. 

Of course she got her favorite kind, and although it was the sweetest thing on the menu, Axel couldn't say no to her. They were halfway home, when a familiar car pulled up. It was Emmet. 

He slowed down beside them and rolled down the windows. "What are you two strangers doing?" he shouted out the window. Axel playfully rolled his eyes, while Lily let out a little squeal running up to Emmet's car.

He unlocked the doors and Lily got in the back, Axel in the front. "Aren't you supposed to be working?" Axel asked pushing his seat way back. Whenever Lily rode shotgun with Emmet, the seat was usually on the dashboard.