II

Daisy

Daisy sat as still as a statue as her social worker walked back into the room. She had done this so many times before. Sat in the exact same chair, staring at the same pale yellow colored wall. It was all the same. 

Yet every time she sat in this office she would find herself nervous, wondering where she would go next. What awful home would she be thrown into this time? 

Daisy leaned back in her seat with a sigh, playing with the strings of her hoodie. It was the one thing that she carried with her everywhere. No matter what home she was in, or where she might end up. 

She called it her lucky hoodie. 

"Now, now Daisy," her social worker started. Daisy watched as she took a seat next to her, a gentle smile playing on her face. Her name was Leia.

She wasn't necessarily old, and for her particular job, she seemed cherry all of the time. Daisy wondered how she did it. How could she keep a smile on her face, when so many children were being taken away from their homes?

"I promise you this time, I have good news!" Leia exclaimed cheerily.

 "That's what you said the previous nine times," Daisy said referencing every time she has ever sat in this room waiting for her social worker to throw her into another family.

 Even so, she couldn't help the way her heart picked up a few beats after hearing that statement. With her big brown eyes, she stared up at Leia waiting for what she had to say. 

"Now take this with a grain of salt okay?" Leia started to which Daisy nodded. "I think this time around," Leia paused as if trying to find the right words. She tilted her head slightly closing her green eyes briefly before focusing them on Daisy.

"I may have found two really nice people to take care of you."

Daisy sighed with frustration. She hated to admit how many times she has heard that phrase and still ended up in a less than ideal home. 

Sensing the frustration, Leia placed her hands on top of Daisys. "I know what you're thinking Daisy, but I promise you this time I mean it." Silence hung in the air for what seemed like ages.

Daisy yet again played with the strings of her sweatshirt. "I know you only want what's best for me," Daisy mumbled breaking the silence.

Leia nodded, a smile beginning to make its way onto her face. 

"But, I'm not getting my hopes up like you are," Daisy said glumly looking at Leia.

Daisy thought back to the last family she stayed with. They weren't terrible but they weren't the greatest either.  Although they weren't physically abusive to her, they often forgot she even existed. Neglecting her basic privileges. The last thing her foster mother said to her before she was taken away was, "Don't cause trouble for other people."

A saddened look made its way back onto Leia's face, but she attempted to disguise it with a smile. She leaned in, tucking a strand of hair behind Daisy's ears. "I promise, these people are eager to see you. I made sure myself."

"I don't understand why I can't just live with you!" Daisy exclaimed to which Leia chuckled. 

Leia stood up from kneeling in front of Daisy and straightened out her wrinkled skirt. "We've been over this a hundred times Daisy," she chuckled. "It's too complicated."

"Well, what the government doesn't know won't hurt them," Daisy said as a matter-of-fact.  "They are going to be in trouble when you're older," Leia chuckled writing something down in her notebook. 

"Alright, I'll go and get them. Just..." Leia paused sending Daisy a reassuring smile as she headed for the door. "Sit tight okay?" 

Once again, Daisy nodded. She sat in the cold chair, her hoodie now engulfing her as she waited for these new people to arrive. 

Of course, Daisy trusted Leia. Leia was the closest thing to a mother that she had. Without Leia, she had no idea where she would be or even who she would be. Daisy owed that much to her but Daisy couldn't help the butterflies in her stomach.

She had a bad habit of biting her nails whenever she got nervous, which she found herself doing at this very moment.

Her eyes snapped up as she heard the sound of footsteps getting closer and closer to the door.

 This was it.

The door opened revealing two guys. One was obviously older with dirty blonde hair and dark green eyes. He was the first to grab Daisy's attention. She didn't want to admit it aloud but he was intimidating to look at.

His tall frame and broad shoulders made Daisy want to hide. So Leia set me up to die!?

The other was slightly shorter with hair as black as night and dark brown eyes. When Daisy's eyes met his, she noticed a flicker of emotion, but she wasn't sure what it was.

The two were obviously related. Their similar facial structures gave it away.

They both looked at each other before looking back at Daisy as if they were seeing a lie. 

"Alright gentlemen, this is Daisy. Your sister."

Daisy's eyes widened at that statement. Sister!? Leia had failed to mention any of that when she told her about who she would be meeting.

She wasn't aware she had any siblings, let alone two brothers. She had been alone her entire life. She remembered the times where she would sit in her room, just wishing for real siblings. 

She hoped that maybe one day she would meet someone she was related to. After all, she has only ever remembered being alone.

She looked up at them, hope filling your heart. They didn't look particularly happy to see her, or at least she couldn't tell. She examined their features, noticing certain similarities between them and her.

They were actually her siblings. "I'll leave you three alone for a few. Is that okay, Daisy?" Leia asked standing up.

Daisy thought for a second before nodding. She watched as Leia nodded in return with a satisfied smile and then walked out. 

Her attention went back to the two boys in front of her. She so badly wanted this to be a new start. Without a second thought, she got up and hugged the person closest to her.

She hardly knew them, but just knowing that they were her brothers was all she needed. She had dreamed about moments like this. Finally meeting her family. Someone who might actually care about her.

It took a while for the hug to be returned, but Daisy only hugged them tighter as tears slipped out of her eyes. "Thank you," she muttered.

"Thank you for coming for me."

Finally, huge arms wrapped around her, engulfing her in a bear hug. It was warm and cozy, and everything that Daisy imagined it would be. 

It felt like family.