SEVEN.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

A LOUD GASP exited irene's mouth. the female's body slowly rose up from a person's lap. her vision was blurry for a few seconds before it went back to normal. her head turned to the female who was sat beside her. 

"irene-" annie's words were cut off when irene threw her arms around her shoulder, pulling annie into her embrace. annie's blue eyes widened in surprise. a pink hue began to creep onto annie's cheeks, there was a sudden flutter in her heart and she could hear the beating of her own heart thumping in her ears. she was afraid that if irene held onto her any longer, she could hear it too. taking a few seconds to grasp the situation, annie snaked her own arms around the small back of the female. she didn't even care about the slimy feeling from her jacket, nor the odd rotten smell that came from her. this was the first time that the two have ever been in the arms of someone in a long time. irene couldn't even remember the last time she had hugged her mother and annie couldn't remember if she ever did hug her own father. being in each other's embrace made them feel safe, protected, and warm. it reminded irene that she was not alone and that she was alive and living the reality that was not a nightmare. feeling the presence of annie in front of her made her feel more relieved that she hadn't lost her dearest friend. 

after a good few long seconds, the two let go of their shared embrace. irene smiled at annie softly before looking at her trembling hands, noticing the cuts that were on her palm. once she was conscious of her body, she felt her head throb in pain, making her wince. she licked her chapped lips, gulping down her saliva to moisturize her parched throat. 

"w-water," irene croaked. annie looked around the table, snatching the water bottle from jean's hand before she shoved the tip of it into irene's mouth. thankful at the action, she chugged down the water, instantly feeling refreshed.

jean was about to send a snarky remark before he noticed the red scars on her face diffusing into a light pink, "oi...your red scars...their fading." jean pointed to her right cheek. the female furrowed her brows, delicate fingers reaching to her cheek. she slightly jolted at the slight burn. 

"what on earth happened?" asked irene, turning her head to look at her surroundings. they were currently in some sort of makeshift shelter. there were soldiers scattered everywhere, everyone shared the same traumatized look in their eyes.

"you don't remember anything?" queried jean, "not even your rampage?"

the female shook her head, "no...i can only faintly remember some things like saving you but not really,"