NINE.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

THE CADETS WERE currently ongoing their first day of training that occurred after the selection of their paths. it consisted of mainly studying the long-distance scouting formation that commander erwin devised, rather than field training. strangely enough, despite its detailed formation, eren's position was nowhere to be seen which irene found odd.

this made irene wonder what the whole point of the expedition was. it obviously had something to do with eren, regarding that there was no information concerning his position.

"you recruits will be here," squad leader ness pointed to the top area of the drawing displayed on the wall, "between the wagon escort squad and scout support squad. you'll be moving with the spare horses and relaying communications."

after a good hour of squad leader ness explaining about the scouting formation, the recruits were finally dismissed. irene let out a small yawn, stretching her arms, accidentally hitting connie beside her.

"oi!" he snickered, glaring at the female.

"you were too short that i didn't see you," shrugged irene, earning a chuckle from reiner who was walking behind them.

"hey! mikasa, armin!"

at the sound of the familiar voice, the group stopped walking, turning around to finally see the brown-haired male they haven't seen in a while. he looked the same as always, though there were noticeable eyebags under his lids.

"it's been a while!" chirped sasha.

"oh wow you're all here?" eren's emerald eyes gazed upon his friends who stood in front of him, "are you guys here because...you enlisted?"

irene rolled her eyes, "why else would we be here?"

eren chuckled in response, missing the presence of her playful aura. a slight frown then displayed on his lips, "then, the only ones who picked the military police brigade are jean, annie, and marco?"

at the sound of footsteps, eren turned around, eyes widening at the sight of jean who was standing in front of him, "you're kidding me..you too?"

"marco's dead." irene bit her lip, not expecting that jean had said it so casually.

"what did you say?" eren froze in his spot, "did you say marco's...dead?"

jean only stared at him, solemnity tracing over his features, "it seems like not everyone dies a dramatic death. we don't even know how he did. he died alone, without anyone seeing or knowing,"