NOT DESERVING

I was ten years old when I first became the overall top one in my section. However, one of my classmates told me that I am not deserving of their top one, and I would not be if her friend did not transfer from another school!

I remember the time when my advisor who was also our math teacher suddenly wanted a representative in every column - there were 4. All 3 of the columns had already their representative chosen, but my column could not choose one. The teacher asked my classmates who were in the same column as me. As they have got no choice, they choose me as one of them told her that I am good at math. I saw the shock in her eyes as I am staring at her. I knew she was contemplating, why my classmates chose me as their "pambato"? I am very quiet and I did not participate in discussions ever since the start of class which may have surprised her most.

The activity is a math quiz - a basic mental math problem-solving. The result probably shocked her even more. Out of ten questions, I was always the first one to respond earning a step in every correct answer I got. Only one of the other representatives was able to take a single step, and the rest were not even moving. This made me earn a seat at the first row instead of the usual back seat that I am always located in.As time went by, I was always the one who would save my classmate in every math problem that was not correctly answered by them. As usual, I do not raise my hand and just wait for the teacher to call my name, but I do sometimes volunteer just to go home exactly at lunch break.