OPENLY SHAMED BY A PRINCIPAL

I was eleven years old when my principal openly scolded me in front of many teachers, students, and strangers for I failed to handle my classmate who had a scary injury. As the president, it was my responsibility.

This happened before the flag ceremony. As usual, I was late. However, I was surprised by the news that one of my classmates was rushed to the hospital because he got injured. Unaware of how big the news was, I did not give a damn about it, as I believed it was his fault in the first place. However, I saw our enraged principal going in the direction of our classroom or should I say.. an open-spaced-area-made-into-classroom. By that point, I knew what she came for, but I did not understand why she would blame me. That time, my advisor had a leave of absence, so I was the one in charge.

Our principal called who was the president, so I stood up. Then, she eyed me and started saying hurtful words that were hard to accept by an eleven-year-old-me. I wanted to cry, and the tears are ready to fall. However, I did not cry, but I bent down my head so they would not see my pitiful face - a face looking so scared, and anytime soon wanted to burst out. I just accepted all the criticisms thrown at me because I knew it was my responsibility. I was the one in charge, so I may have deserved some of it. But, I believe I do not deserve to be embarrassed and blamed in public, and I believe I do not deserve to be a punching bag of how frustrated my principal could be due to the incident. I understand that she would be blamed, but it was so wrong to pass it to me as if I need to take responsibility for everything.

I was traumatized yet again. I do not know how to make face in front of everybody anymore. After what happened, I just turned around and went to find my seat. Then, I did not speak nor try to make conversation with everyone. I was isolating myself and made a mental note that I would not be a leader again in any organization. I promise myself not to get involved in any activities in school to avoid trouble.

Now, I would say I am successful in avoiding any competitions and organizations that wanted my service, and if I may have participate, I would make sure to not win at all. However, it was a different case in the classroom. I am often the leader of a group, and I have to be the responsible one - planning everything and worst of all, does everything.