A NOTORIOUS THIEF

I was ten years old when I became a notorious thief at school. This started when I bought candies from one of the stores just outside the gate. I bought a mint and other candies and paid for them using my 100 peso bill. When I started to go home, I suddenly realize that I was not able to get my "sukli" or change, so I quickly went back to that store and explained that I was not able to get one. The case though was that the "tindera" was not there anymore, only her husband. I explained to the "mister" that I was not able to get the change of my 100 peso bill, and I showed him what I bought as evidence. He did not further interrogate me and just immediately gave my change. I thank him and went home afterward.

The next day, I heard the mothers who were at the waiting area talking about a kid stealing money from one of the stores. She was labeled as a "thief" and a "liar". Worst of all, they are talking about how the parents of that "kid" raised their child. At first, I did not put so much effort into understanding that sensitive topic because I knew I did not do it. However, after five straight days of hearing the same story, I realized that it may have been me because that "kid" did not show herself yet, and I did not buy anything from that store again after what happened. To answer my curious mind, I went to that same store, and just by the looks that the "tindera" gave me, I knew it was me all along. She scolded me in front of strangers that I was not able to explain my side. She forced me to give back what she considered "the money I stole from her" in front of the crowd. As a child. I was petrified and I could not move or even try to explain to them my side. I was scared that I let her reprimand me in front of many people, and I ended up giving her my money which was the same amount as claimed it to be.

The incident traumatized me. I knew I did not do it, but I was afraid of the backlash I may receive if I did not give it to her. My parents may get involved in the baseless rumors, and I am embarrassed to tell them. I felt pain, and I am even angry because everyone was talking about a crime I did not commit and even involved my parents in it, questioning their capability of raising me.

I have always been someone who does not want to be the center of attention. I hate it when people are staring at me, and I even hate being on the stage. I feel nervous when I perform and looking at the people watching me. Sadly, I have it until now.People think I am good. I have always been tasked to be the leader, and I am mostly the one reporting or performing. They never knew how uncomfortable I am doing the thing I hated the most. I may not show it, but I express my unwillingness but no one noticed.