Chapter Four: Battle Plans, Dakota's POV

Chapter Four: Battle Plans, Dakota’s POV

        My first day as a Scout! I was so nervous. I met a girl named Lily Anderson. We talked about how we wanted to become leaders in the Scouting Legion. “Why are you here then, I mean, you’re in the top ten. Then again, so am I, I was one place down from you at 2nd. We could have been stars in the MP’s.” She said to me. “Well why are any of us here?” I told her. “We wanted to save humanity. I’m from the underground district from a child gang…”

        I told Lily how I was born up above but was kidnapped from my family. I lost my parents, my home, and my identity. All that I had left was my name, Dakota Ackerman-Reiss. While I was underground, I was deputy leader of a child gang that had stolen 3DMG and used it like in the tale of Robin Hood. We gave to the poor and stole from the MP’s that came after us. One day, a Scouting Legion member named Hanji Zoe. She told me that I would either be publicly executed or I would join the 104th Trainees. Obviously, I chose to live another day. At the training camp I met Klara and Peter. Before I had become best friends with them, I was a heartless loner. I became a much better person after it. I told Lily that when that dreaded noise that meant that the Colossal Titan had broken through the walls, my friends and I decided to go while many chose to stay like cowards. Peter turned into a titan so I was forced to kill him. I don’t know why, but at that moment I knew exactly what to do and was completely in control. I even told her my true name.

        “Wow, I’m just from Trost and wanted to help out my family.” She said, embarrassed. We laughed and ate our dinner really fast because we were all tense. Having food in my system made me feel so much better.

        The morning after, we got to the Scouts’ castle HQ in Wall Rose. I got my new uniform on and got my gear on for the morning’s scheduled 3DMG practice. I was placed in the advanced squad for being in the top ten. There were six people in my group from the North, East, and West Trainees. For some reason the top ten in the South Corps were supposed to be in another squad.

        I quickly found out how much better I was at flying than the others in my squad. I mean, they were good, and Lily was the only one who could even compare, but the others were pathetic compared to our sharp turns and 235 mph personal speed record.

        After a few weeks, Lily and I sort of synchronized. Nothing romantic or anything, but we were able to perfectly synchronize our movements. It was like we were two different halves of the same whole when we fought. I guess this is a part of what it means to become a soldier. We communicated without speaking, we talked to each other silently, we read each other’s minds.

        I knew that I was going to like being a Scout.