Chapter Seven: Crossroads, Klara's POV

Chapter Seven: Crossroads, Klara’s POV

            At the end of our 3DMG training, we were put in chairs and strapped down to them. They gave us these moving pictures that told us what they called the Truth. It was horrible. There was violence and death beyond reason and description. It taught us that the Scouts were evil, they all deserved to die. They killed so many people. We learned that titans were actually humans, and that the walls were a defense from the titans. The walls. They were put there so that the titans could be safe and the humans could be too. I learned to like the titans that week. The Scouts will die. I thought. They are a nuisance that must we wiped from the earth.

            “Hey, rookie, it’s time for lunch hour.” Said Mark, my new co-teacher. “Yes, Mark-senpai. I need to pack up my stuff first, though.” I answered. I went to lunch and sat down with my new friend, James. “Hey, what’s wrong?” He asked, he was very good at telling even the slightest of bad moods. “I was just thinking about how much I miss my friend Dakota, who joined the Scouts. I also hate him. He has over eighty confirmed kills and is probably already a high rank.” I told him. “Well hey.” He reassured me. “He hardly knows what he’s doing. If he did, he’d be different. I’ll give you a deal. If we ever find him, we’ll kidnap him and convince him to join us.” “That sounds good, let’s eat. I’m famished.”

            I loved James almost as much as I loved Peter, who died in the battle at Trost. I wished I had him with me right now. I missed his little jokes. I missed Dakota's little half smiles. I missed home. Now I realized that both were gone forever. I didn’t even have a note from them.

        “Time to practice with your gear rookies!” Called Jesse. We filed out of the room and got our gear on. I was really good. I’m not bragging, I was able to hold my balance perfectly and shoot targets while I was at it. I had the highest accuracy in my rookie squad of twenty-five people. It wasn’t the same as regular gear though. There was no rush or thrill. It was actually quite boring.

        I stopped in my tracks when I saw Martha and Jaqueline in front of me. They were the resident bullies. They threatened to kill anyone who got in their way of getting to the top. They weren’t joking either, one kid got one place higher than Jaqueline, and he hasn’t been seen since. They thought that they were good at everything. We’d be able to all be higher than them if it wasn’t for the fact that they were almost as good as me with their guns and got away with almost anything. Martha’s father was one of the higher-ups in the Central MP’s. If she or Jackie were found dead, he’d know instantly that it was murder.

        “Hey Martha, Jackie.” I said, trying not to look anxious. “Nice day out isn’t it?” I was desperately trying to stay cool. “Yeah, it is.” Said Martha, with a slight snarl going on. “It’s a day to die for.” Commented Jackie. I suddenly saw that I was fifty points ahead of them. I ran into an alleyway and flew into an open street.

        “Come out come out wherever you are!” Yelled Martha in a menacing voice. I then saw them point their pistols at me. Suddenly, I heard two loud BANGS and a scream. I looked up and noticed blood coming from my arm. Good. I thought. The bullet only grazed me. Then I realized that my jaw was hanging open and there was smoke coming from my guns. I then saw two dead bodies on the ground. I killed them! I thought. I was starting to panic.

        I decided to keep calm and flee from the crime scene. Many scenarios flashed across my mind, none of them good. Would I be tortured, killed, or worse, be in prison for the rest of my life bald and with no fingers or teeth.

        Later that night, everything was a blur. I was taken away and presented to Martha’s father, Commander Lancaster. “Well, it seems as if I should execute you on the spot.” He said coolly. Oh god no. I thought. “Jared, get the lieutenant patch from my office!” He told his assistant, who I assumed went by Jared.  I was very confused. Was I to be killed or tortured? Because it looked as if he was about to promote me.

        “Well, miss. It seems as if you deserve my personal recognition and a promotion, Lieutenant.” He gave me a promotion, HE GAVE ME A FREAKING PROMOTION AFTER I KILLED HIS DAUGHTER!? What kind of heartless maniac am I working for anyway? I thought. Who does that!? I realized that I could never trust this guy. He would stab me in the back as soon as he decided that I was of little value.

        “Yes sir.” I answered. This really was a tough business to be working in right now. I’d have to always sleep with one eye open.