Chapter Five: A Not So Living Hell, Klara's POV

Chapter Five: A Living Hell, Klara’s POV

        “Why am I here?” I asked, while strapped to a chair in the dark room. “You’ve been chosen as a new recruit for the Central MP’s.” The shadowy figure whispered in a gravelly voice. “I thought the Central Military Police just sat around the royal palace all day long. Why am I really here?” I was really freaking out now, I felt a panic attack start to come on. There was a long pause, and then he spoke again. “You’ve been hand picked by my boss. From now on you work for me.”

        “Can you please loosen the harnesses on me, I think these are starting to cut off circulation to my limbs.” He came over to me and I felt a sharp pain in my stomach and wrists. Crap  I thought. He tightened them instead, just what I needed. “Okay, Okay!” I yelled at the top of my lungs. “I’ll do whatever you want, just don’t let me die!” I was suddenly blinded

        I saw a young blonde woman staring at me. This is definitely not a man. “Sorry” She said. She didn’t have a gravelly voice at all, she was probably just faking it. Wow, she must’ve done this before if she can imitate a man so easily. “Standard procedures for rookies. We had hoped that we could get your friend, Dakota in here, but you’ll have to do. My name’s Jessie.” “Can I trust you?” I asked. “Definitely not” She replied “If you ever trust one of us completely, you’ll kill yourself. Trust me enough to follow my directions. Starting from now, on, you are one of us. You’ll wake up at 7 every day, get ready and have eaten by 8:30, and practice with the new 3DMG until 12. You will be given a small apartment on floor up from here, in room 4C. There’s already a new uniform and 3DMG directions for putting it on. You’ll have plenty of food once you get there, so you’ll be fine. You have one hour to get your uniform on. It’s currently 6:45.

        I suddenly felt a huge relief in my muscles. The straps holding me to the chair were undone. I thought that it may be smart to make a run for it, but then I saw the pistol in her hand. I walked up the stairs. Dang, this place is nicer than I thought it would be. I guess that I suspected that it would be musty and cold but it was fancy. I easily found my way to my apartment and had an egg roll and some Chow Mein to eat. I found my nice new uniform and then I saw it.

        My new 3DMG had new leather harnesses and suddenly I was confused. There were pistols on these. Why would I need pistols if I’m fighting titans? I thought to myself. Just then a terrifying thought entered my mind. What if this isn’t for killing titans? I quickly dismissed that thought as I walked through the hall with my new outfit on.

        On the stairs, there was a note that said: Klara, come up the stairs to the balcony, I’m going to show you how to use your new 3-Dimensional Maneuvering Gear on the roof.  -Jessie

        I went onto the roof and found seven other kids. I looked out and saw that we were in an outlying district, similar to Trost. This is the outlying city that they never told us about in school! I realized. “Recruits, you’ve all been chosen for the Central MP’s. I’m not going to lie to you, this brigade is designed to oppose the Scouts and the Garrison Regiments. I’m here to show you what all this is about.” Jesse used in a voice similar to a teacher’s. Well she’s definitely done this before. I thought. “Well let’s get down to business…”

        She taught us the basics of our new gear and I got it on my second try after falling into a tree. It was fairly simple, you had to shoot in front of you, and then hold another button to pull forward. We also had to shoot targets with the pistols and it was pretty easy, I was able to shoot my most of my targets well while holding still. In all honesty, it wasn’t that different than using the regular 3DMG.

        I realized that this was only the simple part of my new training. In the first few weeks, we worked with our new gear, but then came the psychological part of our training in the Central Military Police.