Chapter Nine: Massacre, Klara's POV

Chapter Nine: Massacre, Klara’s POV

        My first assignment as a Lieutenant was to intercept a cargo cart that was carrying gas to the Survey Corps’s base in Wall Rose. Anything that keeps them from getting ahead will help, they told me. We were in a forest just outside of Trost District. They were carrying fifty tanks of gasoline for their gear.

        “Here they come!” Shouted an officer above me in a higher branch. There they were, out in the distance, rolling casually as if it were just another day. Their gas tanks were hidden under bales of hay, which I could just barely make out in the steadily descending sun. I saw three flashes coming from above me. This was our signal. I dropped from the tree.

        I soon realized that the Scouts could not be easily killed. They shined a huge light in my face that nearly blinded me, but that gave them just enough time to ascend to the trees. “Commence to Plan B!” Mark said. Plan B meant that we’d have to just explode the gas tanks and get away. There was just enough sunlight for me to see the cart. There were bullets going off everywhere. I couldn’t count how many times I was nearly shot in the face.

        I started to shoot at the cart. Nothing happened. I went through two thirds of my bullets. Nothing happened. Why isn’t the cart exploding? I thought anxiously. “Why isn’t the cart exploding!?” I yelled to Mark.

        “Oh god.” He said, his face full of fear. “They knew we were coming.” This made it all the more dangerous for us. If they decided to chase us, we’d last maybe an hour. Our gear wasn’t designed to be used in long-term operations. Their gear could last six hours at full speed.

        I didn’t have time to think about that because I saw people in the trees, their blades shone in the dim moonlight.

        I had to quickly evade because on had thrown a sword at me. It left a graze and stung really bad, but other than that, I was okay. I realized how long I had been there. I had maybe ten minutes left in gas. Luckily, the enemy decided to live to another day and regroup.

        This definitely would not be the last time I’d nearly die. I thought. And it wasn’t. 

Sorry for the short chapter, a new one will come soon!