Lesson Sixteen

Minutes turned to an hour, then two hours, and then some, since the party began.

Despite everyone else thoroughly enjoying themselves, you found the party much the opposite of enjoyable. You felt yourself growing more and more anxious, glancing regularly at the clock. It had gotten to the point where you couldn't peel your eyes off it as the hands move, practically counting every second that passed.

Kakashi was supposed to be here by now, You thought to yourself, fear starting to creep in the back of your mind, Where is he?

It seemed the party was about to wrap up. The children were starting to settle down, full from the meal and tired from the energy spent playing, but you wanted it to continue just a bit longer. There was still a small chance he would come in time.

But, you didn't care so much about the books anymore. You just wanted to know where he was.

Your boss couldn't help but look down to your leg, which you were bouncing jitterily as you sat in your chair, unable to hid the nerves anymore. Your plate sat mostly untouched. She could surmise as much why you were nervous. Finally unable to take it, you once again returned to the back to try and call him once again.

You waited impatiently as you heard the phone dial, and it again went straight to voicemail. Even with his bad habits of showing up late, you didn't think he would take his time with something that was important to you, and you had hoped he would at least maybe call if something happened.

This isn't like him. At least, you hoped it wasn't like one of those times. Maybe, he is almost here, and I'm worrying for nothing. But, if it is like one of  those times he's 'late on the path of life,' I might have to kill him for making me worry and being needlessly late, You swore privately, If it's not, he could be late because something could have seriously happened to him. 

Your boss had come over and leant against the door frame. You put the phone down and turned to face her, wringing your hands in front of you.

"Still no luck?"

You shook your head. You tried your best not to, but you feared the worst. What if he got stuck in the snow? What if he hit a patch of ice and swerved off the side of the road? What if Kakashi was in an accident and...

The thought made you ill.

You glanced out the window. Snow began to cling to the windowsill outside. The weather hadn't forecasted that the storm would reach this far south, but it seemed they were wrong.

It would be my fault. I was the one that asked him to go out in this weather. If only I had been patient, if I wasn't selfish and worried about my own perfectionist ego, he wouldn't be out there right now. If anything happens, it would be all my fault...

You pressed your hands together and brought them to your lips, giving a small prayer to whatever force was out there to keep him safe.

Suddenly, a commotion in the other room brought you back out of your thoughts. The two of you returned to investigate, and you found the children crowded around a large box in the center of the room. They chattered to each other, speculating what it was.

The door chimed open, a sharp, chilly breeze gusting in, and a man walked in carrying a second one. The box covered the view of his head initially, but when he bent down to set it on the ground, the flash of the familiar silvery hair caused your breath to catch in your throat. For a moment, your legs grew weak in relief as you realized he was finally here.

He stood up and met your gaze with his. Even beneath his mask, you could tell he gave you a smile, and you found strength to run to him. You couldn't help it. You wrapped your arms tightly around his neck, standing on your tip-toes as you buried your face his shoulder. He hesitated briefly, momentarily surprised. He wrapped his arms around your waist pulling you in tighter. His familiar scent and warmth was all that you needed to be reassured that he would keep his promise.