Lesson Seven

(Earlier that morning...)

He watched as you waved goodbye as you left to catch the bus, sighing to himself quietly. Sometimes he wished he didn't have to get up so early for school. What he would give to keep you in his arms for a few more minutes in the mornings.

He got up out of his chair at the kitchen table and finished getting dressed. Looking at the time, he realized he was going to be late. That was fine with him. As long as he got there before the end of the first class period, he'd be okay.

Today he decided that he would walk down to the market a few blocks away, and maybe he would pick up some stuff for dinner tonight. Maybe surprise you, even.

Usually, he went to Obito's grave in the mornings to pay his respects, and also Rin's. The guilt never really went away since that day. Frequently he wondered what he could have done differently, but over time he learned to accept that couldn't change the past and needed to focus on the present.

He left the apartment and began to stroll down the street. Within minutes he was at the bright, bustling square, wandering the different booths.

This was one of the few larger markets left. The disease had taken many farmers and merchants, but it was not limited to just them. Everywhere, people of all occupations were falling in shortage, and teenagers had to fill their spots with out sufficient training.

He was teaching before the disease had spread, but now he felt maybe his teaching had more purpose. It was important that these kids learned as much as they could before they were saddled down with a baby and jobs so early in life.

A melodic strumming filled the air as he walked, hands in his pockets. He turned his head over his shoulder and saw a familiar face.

Hanare.

He did not expect to see her here, much less as a musician working for tips. He tried to remember the last time he saw her. It was easily several years, probably more.

He walked over to the small crowd that gathered around her. She hummed a tune as she played. Several people dropped change into the open case in front of her. She quickly made eye contact with him and smiled, finishing the last few measures of the song.

An applause was made momentarily as the crowd began to dissipate. She swiftly made her way over to him.

"Hello," She said, stopping a few feet in front of him.

"You didn't seem to be the type to become a street performer," He commented.

She nodded. "I know, but these days, you gotta do anything you can to get by."

"That is true."

"How have you been?" She asked, "What do you do now?"

"This and that," he shrugged, "I teach now."

"Wow, it's been such a long time," She remarked, "Last time I saw you, we were kids, and I had gotten lost over the hills across town, and you had to carry me back."

He thought for a moment, trying to recall the last time they were together. He just remembered that they had been kids a long time ago, and they had played together for a while until they had parted ways.

"You don't remember?" She asked, her face falling slightly.

"No, sorry," He shook his head and gave an apologetic smile.