Lesson Eleven

"Why is (f/n) no longer on my roster?" Kakashi asked Tsunade calmly, though inside he was quite heated.

As he usually did on his lunch break,  Kakashi had checked his mailbox and was surprised to actually see something in it this time. The envelope had "Updated Rosters" written on the back, which had raised his suspicion. It was already just over half-way through the semester, so it was incredibly unusual for any changes to the classes to have been  made this late. 

He had turned it over in his hand and opened it. His eyes scanned over the names on the list. Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke, Ino, and everyone else was there. 

Everyone, that was, except you.

Kakashi had rushed over, and he now stood in front of Tsunade's desk in her office. Placed before her, the new roster lay over her other paperwork, preventing her from completing it. She glanced from it up to Kakashi, who seemed to tower over her from where she sat.

"Kakashi," She addressed, leaning forward in her chair, "I was going to talk to you about this later. Now is not a good time. I have a lot going on right now."

"Then why place it in my mailbox now?"

Her stern eyes met Kakashi's,  and for a moment, neither backed off. 

"Fine, since you're here," Tsunade sighed, finally giving in, "Kakashi, the school board's been pressuring me to move (f/n) from your class. They think you're giving her special treatment now that you're married. She's at the top of your class, and from the outside, well, it looks like favoritism." 

Kakashi frowned, having his suspicions verified. He knew something like this would come up. Leave it to the school board to not think things through. The board always seemed more concerned for their image rather than committed to their duty.

"You know that's wrong," He protested, placing both his arms on the desk leaning forward, "Even if she is my wife, our life at home is separate from our work here. Here, she's one of my students, and it's not fair to her to uproot her education. The school board was the one to push for my marriage."

"I know-"

"Then they should have thought about what it would look like after," He continued, "Tsunade-"

"Enough, Kakashi!" She stood up quickly, slamming her hand on the desk.

Kakashi was slightly taken aback. Tsunade, realizing she was losing her temper, took a deep breath and reeled herself back in before doing something she could regret.

She lifted her hand off her desk and explained, "Kakashi, I'm on your side with this. I know you don't play favorites, and I know (f/n) is a good student. However, what's done is done, and the decision has already been made," She stated, a note of regret in her voice, "I'm sorry."

Kakashi could tell she was genuine, but his anger didn't subside within him. He wasn't angry about the board's perception of him. Honestly, he could care less about that; he didn't need to prove himself. He was angry that the board was taking it out on you. As a student, you had the right to be treated the same as your classmates, but now you were being singled out because of their own incompetence.

"At least let me recommend which class she should move to," He requested, as it was the least he could do, "Asuma's class-"

"Kakashi, I'm afraid I can't do that," Tsunade looked toward the ground.

It was clear something heavier weighed on her mind. 

"Why not?"

"Asuma, he..." She took a deep breath, bracing herself for the news she was about to deliver.