Chapter 1

Kate's POV

"Kate!" Susan, my stepsister, yelled down from her room. I realized that I had forgotten about some important party tonight that she was going to. 

"Coming!" I called back up as I put my broom in its corner. When I'm done with Susan I will have to come back. My stepmother wants me to have the floor shining. I don't know how though, I mean shining? The floor is made out of wood!

"KATE! GET UP HERE!" Susan yelled again. That girl had no patience for anything. Sighing I ran up the stairs to my old room which had been commandeered for her majesty's use. 

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////Time_Skip/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

You may be thinking I'm your average Cinderella, yes I've read the stories, seen the movies. My friend, Sava, and I joke about it all the time. The only problem, life isn't a fairytale. Girls in stories get their happy endings. Me, I'm just a seventeen year old girl that is used as a personal slave for my stepfamily. Sure my dad may have been rich, but he was blinded by his love for Elaine and gave her all the money.

"KATE!" I heard someone screech. The Wicked Witch must be back, hope she enjoyed the gift I gave her.

"Susan," Elaine scolded her daughter," don't scream, it is very unladylike."  I nearly snorted, Susan is anything but a lady.

"Kate put a rat in my hair," The tattletail whimpered. Poor thing, I'm sure she was terrified of the monster. What was I thinking putting the mouse in Susan's hair? The poor mouse must have had a heart attack.

"Kate, is this true?" Elaine asked in her usual cold tone that she used specifically for me.

"No," I lied," I haven't seen any rats around, but I'll go set up some traps if you want Stepmother," I gave her my sweetest smile. They know not to trust me, and I know not to trust them. 

 Elaine narrowed her eyes looking for  a sign that she could call me on. Coming up with nothing she just nodded her head yes.

"MOM!" Susan screamed again. Yikes, she was going to wake up the whole neighborhood.

"Now calm down dear, you should get some rest, you have school tommorow. If you calm down I'll let you borrow the car tommorow," Elaine tried to soothe her daughter.

Susan perked up at this. Elaine wouldn't let Susan or Carie, my other stepsister, get a car, but lets them use hers almost all the time. All one of them has to do is cry and she lets them use it.

I decided I had seen enough of this mess and left. I hope you didn't really think I was going to set some traps. This house is rodent free, except for the mice in a cage I keep hidden in the attic. Instead, I went to my room, well, it's really the attic. When my dad died I was relocated to the attic. I managed to separate the room into two parts, storage and living.

Most of the huge room was taken up by old furniture and boxes full of junk. The other side of the room has my bed and a few shelves and chests that hold my belongings. 

As I collapsed onto my bed I felt my phone vibrate. I looked down to see a text from Sava.

 Have you heard the rumor about the new kid?

No, I texted back. Sometimes I wonder why we are best friends. I couldn't care less about a new student but Sava keeps me up all night filling me in on whatever the latest gossip is. 

In your average Cinderella story its the stepfamily that keeps Cinderella up all night right? Well in mine, its my best friend that is responsible for the circles under my eyes.

I heard my phone vibrate again but didn't bother to check it before surrendering to sleep.