Chapter 4

Kate's POV

Later that evening I exited Elaine's room to go downstairs and cook dinner. Elaine would be gone for dinner and I was responsible for making Susan and Carrie's meal. About half an hour later, as the three of us were settling down to eat, Elaine came downstairs to wait for her date.

She had been dating this guy named Edward for a while, maybe a year. Edward was okay. He was polite, maybe a little more reserved to me than to Carrie and Susan, but still kind. I honestly didn't know how they worked together.

"MOM!" Susan screamed as soon as she saw Elaine in the doorway. Elaine was wearing an elegant orange dress, and the make-up of a two year old. It was obvious she didn't put make-up on often.

"Is the lipstick supposed to taste like ketchup?" She asked curiously.

"What happened to your make up?" Carrie shrieked when she turned around.

Elaine's make-up was made up of ketchup, paint, and other house hold items. Her eye shadow was black paint, her lipstick was ketchup, and her blush was pizza sauce, flavored with basil because why not.

Susan took her back upstairs and helped Elaine do her make-up and got her back downstairs just a few minutes after Edward showed up.

Susan glared at me as soon as the couple left, but didn't say anything. She retreated up to her room for awhile,  probably to get ready to sneak out to a party later,  Carrie claimed the T.V. in the basement, and I went up to my room in the attic.

Sava soon came over to keep me company and help me with my homework.

"Did you see how he looked at you!" She squealed as soon as I opened the door. I rolled my eyes at her as I led the way up the stairs to my room.

"I'm so jealous of you!  Josh Wilson was totally checking you out!" She continued as we collapsed on my bed.

"Just because he was nice to us and spoke to us doesn't mean he was interested," I said, trying to hide my smile. A guy possibly liking me, not everyday news.

"Come on! A pop star could be into you and you don't get even a little excited about that?" She shook her head.

"You can have him if you want," I offered," though I thought you were already taken. Or are you over Mat finally?"

"No," She blushed," But I can't just wait around for the guy that will never notice me."

 I dramatically gasped," You just said something smart, Oh I'm so proud," I pretended to dab at my eyes as if I was crying.

"Shut up," Sava laughed as she playfully punched me.

"Ouch, You hurt me, and here I thought we were friends," I pouted. That just made Sava laugh harder and I eventually gave in and joined her. Sava had the kind of laugh that made you want to laugh along. It was contagious.

"Anyways, " She started as we calmed down," What are you going to do about Josh? IF he asks you out you have to say yes!"

"My step sisters would kill me if I went on a date with their idol. Though, the look on their faces might make going on a date with him worth it."

"You are not thinking of using Josh to annoy you stepsisters, I will not let you do that, not to my baby," She said, crossing her arms and trying to look intimidating.

I laughed," It's okay, Sava, it's not like he would actually ask me out. If he doesn't know who I am already he soon will. He will learn which girls are worth his time and popular. He'll go after them and leave me alone. I wouldn't be surprised if, after he finds out we're nobodys, he never talks to us again."

"I don't want to believe you're right, Josh would never do that. He's a good person, He wouldn't just turn his back on us."

"Lets just not talk about him anymore," I suggested.

"Ok," She agreed," How far are you on that book report?"

"I haven't even started the book yet," I confessed.

"Kate!" She scolded, "You know that's due next week right?'

"Yeah yeah, I'll get done," I promised.

"You better, We can't have you failing English now can we."

"No we can't," I agreed.

"Hey want to watch a movie? I still have an old DVD player around here somewhere. We can find it and put on a movie," I suggested.

"Sure," She agreed, hoping up and helping me find it.

"Hmm, We have The Princess Bride, Divergent, ohhh Cinderella!" Sava squealed as she rummaged through my movies.

"What?" I asked as I plugged the old DVD player in.

"We should watch Cinderella! It fits you Kate, you're Cinderella. I don't care if you like it or not."

"Fine," I sighed, not wanting to get into an argument about Cinderella. Just because I had an evil step family didn't mean I was automatically Cinderella, but it was no use arguing with Sava about it.

"But not the Disney, I'm choosing which version," I agreed, reaching for a few Cinderella movies to choose from. The Fairy Tale had been one of my mom's favorites, so I had several Cinderella movies. I finally decided on Ever After, my Mother's favorite.

We got comfortable, and I brought out my chocolate stash. Hopefully the movie wouldn't bring on more comparisons between my life and Cinderella's, or at least I can hope.

Thank you everyone who has kept reading! This story isn't one that I frequently update obviously. If you haven't checked out my other stories yet, please do so sometime. I have two Percy Jackson Fanfictions, and maybe a Harry Potter one coming soon. Don't forget to Vote and Comment!