Chapter 14: Memories of a time past

Dune

Since I could remember I was always lesser, never good enough, never deserving.

This was because my older brother was the one meant for glory. Everyone believed it yo be since the day he was born. The clan of the Shifters were a lesser elven clan but we had our own blessing in the form of the moon goddesses blessing of glory: one of our clan and one only would be blessed with the ability to change into any animal, the ability to heal almost all wounds, the ability to partial transform, heightened speed, power and strength as well as calling those of nature to their needs. This person is worshipped by the clan as they are the chosen one of the moon goddess, to be loved and cherished till they pass and the power is transferred to the next chosen.

So when the last holder of glory passed everyone believed my older brother would be chosen, he was smart and kind, extremely handsome and loved by everyone. He was my mothers pride and joy so when I was born I was taking her time away from him. I was a toddler when the abuse started, she would tell me how I deserved the pain and that I should learn to love it since that would be all I deserve since i was disrespecting the moon goddesses by taking her away from my brother. My father and brother were non-the wiser, when asked about the bruises and cuts I made excuses.

My father began to become suspicious when the wounds never stopped and I became more and more withdraw as I hot older and the wounds got worse. My mother never allowed me to participate in the ceremony of ages where the next holder if glory was chosen and I would be sent on random tasks that would take me days away and when I would return their would still be no new holder and my mother would comfort my brother telling him that soon he would be chosen, it was just a matter of time and when his body was ready.

The 10000's year we’d had without a chosen came and my mother was particularly mean, the amount of blood pooling in my room would be hard to explain but it didn’t matter to her in that moment. When my father and brother came home from hunting the smell of copper was suffocating but my mother had already sent me away on another long errand for the clan chief that had came directly from the king: find the one in solace and plead our case for his assistance in a coming war.

I didn’t care that it was almost a months journey or that I had no real way to convince him or that I as an adolescent should have never been sent since it was rumored he fed on our kind, no all that mattered was that I wouldn’t see her for a whole month!!

The territory of the reclusive person was littered with animal skulls and bones, it looked as if all life had been wiped from the area, even the dark woods before me looked gnarled and twisted as if ready to pull the life from anyone who dared enter.
I entered. If I was lucky he’d kill me and my bones would join those of those poor animals.

I wandered aimlessly through the woods not really sure which way I was meant to go as the directions given to me by the chieftain stopped at the woods entrance until I heard the sound of birds. Birds, chirping and  squeaks of animals followed by the sound of running water. I followed that hoping for a sip of cool water on my part he’d lips since I was sent with no good or water on my journey but I had learned at a young age to scavenge.

Breaking into a clearing I was blinded by the sun that broke through a break in the trees illuminating a beautiful cottage that looked as if it was formed out of a huge hollow tree, even stranger was the amount of animals and birds surrounding the place, they were all happy and playing while a tall man stood reading while absent-mindedly petting a 12 point stag.

He was mesmerizing, an air of elegance and danger surrounded him and I wanted, just for a moment to be treated as softly as he was treating the stag.

My foot slid into the clearing and it was as if a signal had been sent, all the animals stopped and stared at me non-to kindly. I knew they would all attack me, my body began to shiver slightly as the thought of more pain but just then my stomach decided to growl obnoxiously load making the man look up from his book. He stared at me for a long moment before turning away and telling me to enter, with that word the animals ignored me and went back to being happy not scary creatures.