Ch 17

Now changed I was sitting on the couch, my mission file in my hands as I read through it.

Robyn Hud.

What a stupid ass name.

"You better have clothes on." I hear along with approaching footsteps from down the small hall.

"Don't worry. I think I made you drool enough back in the room." I retort, keeping my gaze down while turning the page.

"The fuck is that?" Natasha says making me look up briefly to see her looking over at the coffee table at my Nokia.

"My cell phone." I reply lowering my gaze again.

"Your cell phone?" She asks unconvinced to which I nod.

"Your personal cell phone?" She repeats making me roll my eyes.

"Sounds like you want to get to know me." I comment sarcastically looking up at her.

"Don't hold your breath." She scoffs in reply sitting down next to me making me move farther away from her.

"Now is that any way to treat your girlfriend?" I can practically hear the condescending smirk I'm pretty sure she's wearing.

"You're not my girlfriend." I grumble.

"Not according to these papers." She continues fanning her files.

"We don't need to be a couple to accomplish the mission." I shake my head.

"Well someone has commitment issues." She mumbles.

"Ha. Ha." I reply dully.

We then talked about actual business and tactics to use to take down the Yakuza when Natasha's phone kept going off interrupting every few minutes and it was the other Avengers checking in.

"Don't you keep your distance during missions? So nothing is compromised?" I question, cross referencing some intel from multiple files.

"Not necessarily, besides my friends can get protective. Especially if we're on extensive missions. And since I'm here with you." She scoffs and I just hum not paying attention to her jab.

Noticing this, Natasha decided to turn the tables.

"Don't you have people in your life that need to know you're safe? It seems like you have a lot of friends." She comments referring to when the car was dropped off and I stop at the thought.

"They're not my friends...they're my family..*clears throat* but I don't really see them. Before a few days ago they didn't hear from me for years." I tilt my head slightly.

"Why?" She can't help but ask.

"To keep them safe. I've crossed paths with a lot of bad people. Many who want my head on a platter. I can't put them at risk to get caught in the cross fire." I kick my feet up on the coffee table.

"Is that why you came back to SHIELD?" She raises a brow.

"Dragged is more like it. Fury needs me for a couple assignments and offered me something I couldn't refuse." I shrug.

"Clean slate." Natasha nods along, catching my drift.

"Sometimes I think that there's no turning back y'know? That I'm in to deep, being impossible to start anew." I comment.

"If it's what you want. It's possible. I mean, I've done it." She tilts her head and I turn to her slightly intrigued.

"Before I worked for SHIELD, I made a name for myself. Having a very specific skill set, I didn't care who I used it for, or on. I got on SHIELD's radar in a bad way. Clint was sent to kill me. He made a different call." Natasha explains lowly.