Ch 8

Next Morning

I walk up to SHIELD with a hoodie and a red bandana covering my face. I had to protect my identity at all costs since I was coming here in broad day light. I don't know if I was being watched or not, and I wasn't going to take any chances.

As I walk up the steps Coulson met me outside to grant me access into the building without question.

"I see you're taking all precautions." He says as we walk into the building.

"I have too." I sigh.

"It's good to see you again, sort of." He says since he can't see my face.

"It's good to see you too Phil. Surprised you haven't spit on me or hit me yet." I say as we walk down the halls.

"I don't dislike you if that's what you're thinking. We all make choices in our lives. In all honesty, I'm glad to see you." He says as we stop then motions to a door.

"..Thanks." I nod and he smiles allowing me to go first.

Without knocking I open the door and step inside. It was a control room. The two of us step further in. I see Clint, Fury, and Maria look over to my direction as they hear they hear us approach.

"What's up, blood?" Fury greets making me roll my eyes and lower my hood and take off the bandana from my face with a sigh, taking a refreshed breath while running a hand through my hair.

"Great, your partner has arrived." He adds with a crooked smile.

"Partner?!" Clint and I exclaim at the same time.

"We can't be partners, he covered up his tattoo." I say motioning to his left arm since he was wearing a short sleeve shirt as I walk closer to Fury.

"Oh, and you still have yours?" Clint scoffs.

"Wanna check?" I raise a brow, holding the cuff of my right long sleeve.

"I'm not working with her Nick." Clint says seriously turning to the one eyed man with a shake of his head.

"I'm going alone. She might betray me and team up with some old HYDRA buddies." He spits and I roll my eyes.

"What's he going on about?" I ask dryly and Maria hands me a file which I take warily.

Quickly skimming through it I see pictures of a HYDRA base are along with snapshots of a vial of a luminous purple substance. It was a lethal poison that we had to retrieve and bring back so it wouldn't be in the wrong hands and can be properly destroyed. I heard about this HYDRA base which made me clench my jaw.

"Don't be stupid Clint you can't go alone. This is cut throat shit." I shake my head looking over at the archer.

"You're saying I can't do things on my own? News flash, I became better after you left. Nothing holding me back." He says making me shake my head turning away with a slight clench of my jaw.

"Hold you back? I leveled your ass up, Barton." I scoff looking back at him, my eyes locking with his.

"Just like the good old days, huh?" Fury turns to the other two.

"I became part of a new, better team who hasn't abandoned each other." He continues.

"The Avengers? That's your best argument? Must I bring up the accordion again?" I question amused and he shakes his head.