Failed to protect her- Nalu part 1

Within a thick, shadowy forest, a fire dragon slayer was on the hunt. It didn't matter why he was there, whether it started off as a mission or was just a trip to get away. His only concern was finding Lucy.

All his senses were on high alert, searching for even the littlest thing that would lead him to her. However, no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't find a single trace of her, and it drove him crazy. He just had to find her. He had to protect her, no matter what.

"Natsu!"

Natsu whipped around at the sound of the pain filled shout. He recognized the voice instantly, and bolted as fast as possible towards her screams. He practically burned his way through the thick trees to get to her.

"Lucy!" Natsu yelled.

"Natsu!" Lucy screamed again.

"I'm coming Lucy!" Natsu called as he ran faster.

He soon found her alone in a clearing, curled up on the ground. Her battered body shook as she cried loudly into her hands. She looked just like the time she was taken by Phantom Lord. Same outfit, and the same injuries.

Natsu ran to her side, ready to beat whoever hurt her to a pulp.

"Lucy, what happened? Who did this to you?" Natsu questioned angrily.

She stopped crying for a moment and looked up at him. There was so much pain and sadness in her tear filled eyes that it made his chest ache and his anger rise.

"Natsu...why didn't you protect me?" Lucy whimpered.

Natsu froze a moment and stepped back, completely stunned and confused. Did he hear that right?

"Lucy? What are you talking about?" Natsu asked. "I always protect you."

"Natsu, why wouldn't you protect me?"

He jumped at the sudden new voice behind him and turned around. Standing behind him, was Lucy. Only this Lucy looked like when they fought together on Tenrou island. Covered head to toe in injuries and her clothes torn in the exact same way when they fought Kain Hikaru. She looked so helpless and desperate.

"Lucy? But you-"

"Natsu, why couldn't you protect me?"

He turned again, and the Lucy from the Grand Magic Games was there. Many bandages were wrapped around her and she was in the same blue hospital gown. But this time, her eyes looked so empty with not even the slightest bit of their usual shimmer.

Natsu looked between the three Lucys that surrounded him. They all looked so hurt and miserable, and he didn't know what to do.

He was so confused, so frustrated. How could this happen? What was even happening? Last he checked, Lucy didn't know any duplication or cloning magic.

"But...But I-" Natsu stammered.

"Natsu."

Natsu turned again, and his eyes widened in horror. There, standing before him, was future Lucy.

The same one that helped them save the future. The same one who risked everything and even lost her hand. The same one who died to save his Lucy. The same one he was too slow to protect.

He felt his chest tighten painfully and his stomach churned as if he were in a moving vehicle. His knees trembles so much he could hardly stand, let alone walk.

This couldn't be happening.

"L-Lucy." Natsu choked, stumbling towards her.

Hot tears burned his eyes, and he tried to blink them away. Seeing her like that, it hurt too much.