Broken- Gruvia

There were many things in this world that Gray Fullbuster didn't understand. He couldn't grasp how heartless his enemies could be. He didn't get how boneheaded and clueless Natsu was at times, either. But most of all, he didn't understand how another person could love someone so broken.

No one loved broken things. Once something was broken, even if it was once treasured, it was cast away and forgotten. That's just how the world worked. It was what people were expected to do.

Yet, there she was. The great and powerful water mage, Juvia Lockser, and she loved him, a broken man, with all her heart. He didn't understand it. Juiva was a beautiful and powerful woman of water magic. She could easily win over any man. She even had the heart of his frienemy, Lyon Vastia. So, why choose him?

Gray just couldn't wrap his head around it. He had already lost so much, and had nothing to offer her. Nothing good, anyway. Meanwhile, Juvia had everything and continued to give it all to him, no matter what.

It amazed him how her feelings never wavered or faded, no matter what happened. In fact, her love only seemed to grow by the day.

How? Why? Why did she want to be with him of all people? No matter how hard he tried, Gray just didn't understand it. And the only one who knew the answer was Juvia.

For a while, Gray thought it wasn't worth asking. What would it prove? Nothing life changing, he told himself. That didn't stop the curiosity from growing slowly over the years, no matter how much he pushed the thoughts away.

Finally, after trying to ignore it for so long, Gray couldn't take it. After everything they have been through together, all of the conflicting feelings he has been having, he had to know why she felt that way about him.

So, when he saw the water mage in the guild that morning, he made it his mission to talk to her.

"Hey, Juvia?" Gray asked.

"Yes, my beloved?" Juvia smiled brightly.

"Can...can I ask you something?" Gray questioned hesitantly.

"Of course! You can ask Juvia anything at all. She will share all with her sweet, beloved." Juvia chirped.

"Yeah...right." Gray blushed a bit. "Look, can we go outside. I'd like to do this privately."

Juvia nodded happily and followed Gray out the door.

Once they were outside and away from prying eyes and ears, Gray got right to the point.

"Why do you love me?" Gray asked.

Juvia blinked a few times and titled her head in confusion.

"Why do you mean?" Juiva asked.

"I mean...what is it about me that you like so much? It's not like I'm a celebrity or someone super special." Gray stated.

"You are to Juvia!" Juvia argued.

"But...why? I don't understand why?" Gray asked.

"Isn't it obvious? You're amazing! Everything about you is amazing and wonderful!" Juvia beamed.

Gray signed. This conversation was getting nowhere. Maybe he should just cut his losses and give up on knowing.

"But what really stole Juvia's heart the most was your strength of heart and kindness." Juvia continued.

"My strength of heart and...kindness?" Gray repeated.

Juiva nodded, picturing their first meeting so clearly in her head. Even years ago, it was still so clear in her mind.